Waxing Aluminum Wheels.

Call me crazy but the aluminum wheels on the Park are gonna get waxed this week before my vacation. I'll wax them when they are off the car during rotation, this way I can wax the insides of the rims as well. I'm going to use Mother's Aluminum Wheel Polish. No, no not my mothers wheel polish. LOL.

Do these spray on wheel cleaners take the wax off fairly quick if the wheels are washed, say, 3-4 times a month. Or is it possible after they are waxed, that regular soap & water may actually take the brake dust off and I can relax a bit on using the wheel cleaner?

Oh, and if anybody uses Turtle Wax 2000 Foaming Wheel Cleaner in the clear lime green plastic bottle, if you've got an old bottle from last year HANG ON TO IT.

The new bottle I bought last week has a poorly redesigned bottom. Its like an oval shape and it dishes upward into the bottom and falls over very easy.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 20,000 mi. 91 Bonneville LE , the black table in the garage.
Reply to
Harry Face

i haven't gotten around to waxing my wheels yet this year, but all i use is soap and water to clean them and it takes all the brake dust. Do you use a quality soap? I use meguairs deep crystal, find it great. Also i do have meguairs 'hot rims' here aswell, which i use if they are particularly dirty

Reply to
M.C. Tee

I think that the polish is like a rubbing compound. I think that your wheels are clear coated. I don't think that I would do that.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Scott: If you read the owners manual, it tells you that they can be waxed accordingly. Have waxed mine for 2 years with no ill effects.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

What I am saying is that Mother's Aluminum Wheel Polish is an abrasive, like rubbing compound, not a wax and may dull the clear coating. The directions on my can says nothing about clear coat. I am sure that it is for bare metal.

Harry: like the old saying goes; test in an inconspicuous area first.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Scott,

It turns out the bottle I have is Kitt Alum Wheel Polish - Safe For All Finishes. But the date I wrote on it indicates I bought it in April of

  1. I think I'll go buy some new stuff.

My wheels look like there is a clear coating on it . can't lay my hands on the owners manual at this minute.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 20,000 mi. 91 Bonneville LE , the black table in the garage.
Reply to
Harry Face

I use regular spray-on furniture polish (Pledge, etc.) on my chrome wheels. It makes them extra slippery and I never have a problem with brake dust.

Lee '00 Bonneville SSEi

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter