Got to examine a Carrera GT today!

Hoehn Porsche in Carlsbad, California has a Carrera GT in stock and on display for the general public. At first glance it looks like a model, no wires or hoses showing in the engine bay, but upon closer inspection, from the single release hubs to the ceramic rotors to the very sparse sport seats, it looks like a race car minus the sponsorship stickers. I had to chuckle when I saw the sign next to it... "This car is available, see a sales associate if you wish to purchase it" Crap! I left my American Express card at home!

Reply to
Devils944S2

I thought the same thing when I saw it at the Los Angeles International Auto Show in January. It's a magnificent piece of work, I'm only sorry that it'll be well into "used" status if I ever get rich enough to own one (god willing!). Of course, a used Carrera GT is still better than having a brand-spanking-new version of most anything else.

The local Porsche dealers around here tend to keep more "normal" stuff in the showroom, like C4Ss and Turbos. And even those are usually adorned with signs reading "don't touch". I'm going to take my father in with me one day and make them let us test drive a Cayenne Turbo. =)

Can you imagine having a credit line good enough for a $440,000 car? Wow...

Reply to
Steve Grauman

As if you could actually buy one for "list". I know the local dealer is supposed to get at least 3, and 2 are available for sale. They are thinking of auctioning them off to the highest bidder.

I gather that PCNA is not particularly happy with some of the factory's recent edicts, production quantities and pricing schemes on GT-2's and 3's, amongst other things, so they've told the dealers to sell the Carrera GT's any way they wish, and for any price they feel comfortable with. Considering the low production quantities, I fully expect to see the vast majority of them to fetch well into the $500's.

Maybe it'll take both an American Express and Titanium Visa card??

Reply to
Weekend Guru

I'm enroute, but unless they allow me about $350K trade in on the 911 the AMEX is staying in the wallet.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Reply to
Devils944S2

I like the GT Silver color. The low ground clearance and front overhang will have you creeping in and out of driveways with any significant slope to keep from scraping.

The braided stainless portion of the exhaust system was something I've not seen before and like you, I didn't see any hoses or wiring. Very clean engine bay, lots of carbon fiber! I first heard of the different color hubs on the Ford GT race cars in the mid/late 1960s, so it was interesting to see the same application on this car.

The interior is certainly no-nonsense,in keeping with the overall concept of this car, but I thought the large, unmarked wood shift knob looked out of place. The car's individual serial number cast into the console (instead of stuck on with a plate) was a nice touch.

It weighs about the same as my Carrera and has nearly twice the HP - yikes! I'm buying lottery tickets again..........

Reply to
Jim Keenan

now , is that a 911 ????? do you think that this 911 would be in your rear view mirror ? asshole, take your 944 and stick it in your ass . woody 911 TT

Reply to
woody

Some poet you are. The Carerra GT is NOT a 911 in the slightest.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

You have a 911tt and you need to call people on USENET asshole? I call B.S. on that.

Woody is a bit full of something, and I think it smells.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Bernard,

You are most definitely correct. Funny thing is as a "Porsche 911 TT" owner he should know the difference between a mid-mounted V-10 and a rear mounted boxer 6.

As for you Woody...since I have driven by the dealer about 3 times in the past week, that GT HAS been in my rear view several times.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Says who?

Reply to