Potential problem with Porsche CPO warranty

Recently, I posted in the alt.autos.porsche.911 newsgroup regarding an issue I have been experiencing with my '02 996 TT. Specifically, it "pops" out of second gear while de-accelerating unless I keep light pressure on the gearshift with my hand.

Now, I may have a problem getting it fixed.

Background info:

I purchased this car from a reputable Porsche dealership about a year and a half ago. It had 18,200 miles on it and was being sold as a "Certified PreOwned Vehicle" under the Porsche CPO program. The CPO warranty was for two years from date of purchase.

Within a day or two, I noticed the second gear issue. I also noticed a minor problem with the CD player (only plays out of the left side speakers).

During a follow-up visit to the dealership, I mentioned these issues to the salesman from whom I bought the car and I asked him if they were covered under the CPO warranty. He indicated yes, and also checked with an associate who agreed. I was told to make an appointment at my convenience and their tech would take care of it. (He suggested it was "probably" a minor cable adjustment).

He also told me that he had noticed the "pop" out problem also, either the day before or the morning of the day I took delivery. He had driven the car briefly .... I believe it was to put gas in it ..... just before I picked it up and he recalled the transmission popping out of second gear as I described.

I waited until the car was otherwise due for service, but before the warranty expired. The car runs fine and the "pop out" issue is more of a nuisance than a major problem. I have only put 2000 miles on the car since I took delivery and store it during the winter months.

10 days ago I brought it to the dealership for the annual service and also to address the second gear issue and the minor problem with the CD player. I received a phone call a couple of days later. Seems the CD player was not covered under warranty, but the second gear issue *was* covered according to the service manager. Unfortunately, it was not a simple cable adjustment however. The fix involves removing the transmission and replacing a gear. (I assume this is the 2nd gear syncro gear). The service manager indicated the work would take about a week and wanted to know if they should proceed, or did I have plans for the car. I asked them to go ahead and repair it.

Today, I was told that the dealership and Porsche are "fighting" over the warranty coverage. Seems that if they (Porsche) determines the failure is due to a design or workmanship issue, it's covered. If they determine it's due to abuse, it's not. There's also a question as to parts availability. Apparently in the past this problem (not totally uncommon, I've discovered) was resolved by replacing the entire transmission. I was told that they later authorized replacing the failed parts only. But, meanwhile, my car sits and there's a question as to if the repair will be done under warranty or not.

My position is this.

I bought the car with 18,200 miles on it. It was advertised and purchased as a Porsche approved CPO vehicle. It's supposed to be 100% checked out and free of any major problems. I can accept the CD player issue. But not the transmission problem.

The problem with the transmission existed before I took delivery. The salesman acknowledged that it happened to him when he drove it just prior to me picking it up.

I think Porsche should belly up and fix it.

I asked about "worst case" if they refused. It could be a $10,000 "fix" ... out of my pocket.

Interested in opinions/recommendations or any input from officials at Porsche.

Richard Eriksson

Reply to
Eisboch

No question: Porsche should anti-up for both the CD and the transmission repair/replacement. I also purchased a '01, 996 Cab, with 25k mi and a CPO warranty. The only $$ I spent was for a new clutch...and we had a long discussion about clutches wearing out around 33K mi. I purchased an aftermarket Sachs clutch kit and the dealer did the labor at a reduced rate. Otherwise, replacing the radio/CD player was done at N/C, and several other little issues. No questions.

Proceed professionally, but press the issue with the dealer service manager, and with PCNA in Atlanta if necessary. Work your way up the chain of bureaucracy because if you start at the top (President of PCNA) and he says "NO", you're done for; however, my suspicion is that with a little prodding, someone will do the right thing. After all, they wouldn't like the "bad press" that would inevitably follow if they had an unhappy customer.

Go Get 'Em!

Reply to
Guru

Thanks for your comments. The status as of an hour ago is that they plan to open the transmission on Monday and, in the words of the service manager, "will most likely just go ahead and fix it".

It took me a while, but I finally figured out what the warranty work problem is. The individual dealership is responsible for assigning "CPO" status to a pre-owned vehicle, in accordance with guidelines for mileage, age, etc. by Porsche. The vehicles are supposed to be mechanically checked out by the dealership before being designated as a "CPO" under the warranty program.

Porsche is putting the onus on the dealership to absorb the cost to fix because they didn't notice the issue with the transmission before assigning COP status. The dealership, meanwhile, has been trying to get Porsche to cover the cost. This has been going on for almost two weeks.

I can somewhat understand the dealership's concern. In the past Porsche did not authorize field repair of transmissions. They simply replaced the whole thing with a new one at considerable cost. More recently, field replacement of internal components have been authorized, but only after an inspection and validation that the component did not fail due to abuse. My dealer is a small dealership and I suspect they were concerned about the possibility of having to absorb a $10k new transmission.

Anyway, we'll see what happens next week. I explained that I understand they are caught between a rock and a hard place and this situation is somewhat unusual. As a compromise, and in good faith, I offered to pay one third of the verified repair cost up to a maximum dollar value in the event a new transmission is required (which is very unlikely). I suggested that then they and Porsche can fight about who covers the other two thirds. The service manager didn't think my offer of partial payment would be necessary.

I just want my car fixed and returned, because spring is around the corner and I want to drive it!

RCE

Reply to
Eisboch

Your offer is more than fair...further than I would have gone; however, I understand wanting to get the car back on the road.

Seems to me that the problem is as you noted...between PCNA and your dealer. On the other hand, some of these issues only "pop up" or are going to be missed in a CPO inspection. If the car always jumps out of 2nd...then the dealer is at fault; however, if it's intermittent, then I can see how it was missed.

I agree with you...that the dealer will simply fix it if it's only few parts.

Spring is already here in Houston (although we're still getting some 35-40 degree mornings).

Six Porsches, 1 Ferrari 430 and a Ford GT met early this AM and we did a little environmentally unfriendly country driving, probably scaring the spots off a few cows and whetting the appetite of several "county mounties"; however, thanks to several excellent radar detectors and 2 way radios, it was just a blast, with nothing but a little shoulder gravel disturbed as we flew by. Those Ford GT's have got some kind of straight line acceleration...but they need mud flaps to keep from throwing stones high up in the air.

Hope everything works out!

Reply to
Guru

Just an update for any who may be curious or interested. Today I talked to the service manager regarding progress on my 996TT. They opened up the transmission and inspected the faulty syncho gear. Porsche sent them the guidelines for warranty versus non-warranty coverage (by Porsche) in the form of pictures and instructions to the effect of, "If the wear looks like this, it is an assembly problem and covered by Porsche warranty. If it looks like the second picture, it is due to abuse and is not covered."

The service manager told me mine looked exactly like the first, "assembly issue" wear problem. They were awaiting confirmation by Porsche which means the dealership will be reimbursed for the repair cost.

RCE

Reply to
Eisboch

That's great news. Thanks for the update.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

Works for me. And...you didn't have to use any of your "ammunition" to get them to do the right thing.

Reply to
Guru