15,000 mile service

My 2005 Prius is due for 15,000 mile service and in calling around to local Toyota dealers I'm shocked to find that the estimated cost is $130 to $170, and that's without the "cabin air filter" which they all say probably needs replacing at another $56 to $69. Yikes!

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Reply to
Don Goyette

I'm looking at the 15,000 mile service requirement and don't see anything different from the 10,000 mile ($39.95 here) other than some visual inspections, some of which will be accomplished during steering recall. You can make your own cabin filter from furnace filter foam at the hardware store. In fact, you can make a lot of them from one furnace filter. My 15K inspection is due in about 1K miles and will be performed in conjunction with the recall. I'll let you know what they charge if I remember.

Reply to
Bill

My dealership charged almost $270! I think next time I'm going to do the calculations for the prepaid maintenance. (Since this costs the same amt regardless of where you buy it [I think], it might just make sense for service at a more expensive dealership.)

I also got the recall work done at that time. I hadn't yet received the notice (and was told they go out in waves) but knew it pertained to my car.

Reply to
Jean B.

What did they do?

Many dealers have predefined one-size-fits-all service packages, and you pay for the whole thing whether you need all of it or not. (Note, I am

*not* talking about prepaid maintenance plans.) Next time read the Prius maintenance guide, show it to the service writer, and tell them to perform only those items and no others.
Reply to
richard schumacher

Kudos for calling around to different dealers to get pricing, as pricing can vary. 8)

Instead of calling around asking for the 15,000 mile service, call and ask for what is specifically in your Prius Passport to Performance (scheduled maintenance guide). You can view the page at

. The problem is that manydealers will have different things that they like to "check" or fluidsthey like to "change" for you at that specific service, whether or notyou need it (pretty much any multiple of 15,000 miles will have thesame results), which they like to recommend for every car that comes inat that mileage.

Cabin air filter: I have no idea why the change interval was increased from the Classic Prius' 22,500 mile/18 month service to the

2004-current Prius' 30,000 miles/36 months. At my 18 month services the cabin air filter was usually filthy on my 2001!

Every so often (each service, if you can remember), you should probably take your cabin air filter out (instructions are in the Owner's Manual

- this is the filter hiding behind the glove box) and shake out the pollen, leaves, insects, and other particulate matter that has accumulated on it. I've gone so far as to take my home vacuum to it, or run it under the kitchen sink faucet for a few minutes.

This is really a DIY job - just purchase the part from your favorite Toyota parts source. Or, you can make your own filter by visiting your favorite home/hardware supply store, and purchase a home heating system filter and cut it down to size (you can usually get several filter changes this way - much more economical).

The engine air filter is also really easy to change/DIY, when the time comes. But I suggest the Toyota part, not a home brew there.

The DIY for the air filters can save you some unneccessary labor charges! And that way you can resort the mess that falls out of the glove box they way you want it...

Reply to
mrv

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention - keep an eye out for coupons, for service or for parts. Some dealers will mail them to you. Some dealers have them on their websites.

For my last service I had a promo postcard mailing for a discount on air filters, so I purchased them myself at the parts counter while waiting for my car to come back from the oil change. (I rotate my tires myself now.) Unfortunately, I should've called for parts pricing ahead of time, because I think it might've been cheaper to order from my favorite online Toyota parts department and paid for shipping, than it was to get the parts in person with a coupon...

I usually order from:

but I hear that
is pretty good too. Both had very good online responses to queries and answered all of my installation questions when I needed a LH side marker for my 2001.

Reply to
mrv