Auto-leveling headlights broken

My 2005 Prius (25K miles) has package 4 with the auto-leveling HID lights. Tonight I noticed that the lights were aimed considerably lower than usual. Not a hazard to drive, but noticeably lower. I suspect the sensor might be broken.

I've found some reports of this problem in Priuschat. Has anyone here had a problem with the auto-levelers?

Al

Reply to
A Sherman

Do realize that the HIDs will point lower if there is more weight in the cargo area of the car.

Do realize that the headlights are adjustable, so if they are pointed a little low, you can raise them, as instructed in the owner's manual. Same if they are pointed a little high and you are always being flashed by oncoming motorists.

Also realize that there is a known auto-leveling sensor problem on some

2004-2005 Prius. If you have this problem, you'll know it - the headlights will only aim up to about 20ft in front of the car, and you'll get a chime and the autoleveling headlights warning icon on the MFD. (Several reports on the Prius-2G yahoogroup and on priusonline.com ) Problem is that it is intermittant and therefore can be difficult to get your dealer to believe you that there's a problem (since it often doesn't store an error code and won't happen in the dealer's possession). For more information, see: US TSB EL004-06
28, 2006. Automatic Headlight Leveling System Warning Light "ON"or Flashing. 2004-2005 Prius w/HID headlights. replace rear vehicleheight control sensor with improved one.
Reply to
mrv

April 28, 2006. Automatic Headlight Leveling System Warning Light "ON"> or Flashing. 2004-2005 Prius w/HID headlights. replace rear vehicle> height control sensor with improved one.>

Thanks for the reply, mrv. I have not seen any error code. My headlights now cover about 60 ft in front of the car with low beams.

I now recall that the day before I noticed the problem, I had hit a large bump in the pavement with a couple of heavy passengers in the rear seat. I'll bet this could have damaged the sensor.

Al

Reply to
A Sherman

Very Strange!

The auto-levelers were definitely broken for 3 or 4 nights, but now they have resumed working properly. I will have to watch them to see what happens. Maybe a loose connection?

Al