prius older car

does the later model prius use the gas engine more than the earlier model. I have heard that the elec motor is used to help the gas engine and you do not run on elec motor alone at all.

Reply to
dog

I'm not sure which models you're asking about, but my 2004 Prius frequently runs on the electric motor alone.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

The current generation Prius uses the gas engine less than the previous generation (2003 and earlier). Honda's IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) is the hybrid version that always spins the gas engine.

Honda's IMA is a form known as a "parallel" hybrid, while the Toyota system is a "series-parallel" hybrid. A true "series" hybrid is one where the gas engine just runs to charge the battery that powers the electric motor(s) which in turn power the car. There aren't any series hybrids on the market today.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee