prius: early vs later modle

HI,

i am just a tourist here but maybe someone will help me out. i am lookng to get another car, (04 scion was totaled by a hit/run on I91s in meridan ct last week), and i hear the later prius's are much better that the 03 and earlier models...true?

thanks, peter

Reply to
peter

Yep; & certainly way more popular (although the relatively few people who did buy an '03 Prius liked theirs, a lot). The ones earlier than '03, AFAIK, weren't marketed in the U.S., but in Japan.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Wrong the NHW11 Prius was introduced to the US in late 2000 for the 2001 model year. The NHW20 replaced it for the 2004 model year.

Per MRV's last monthly Toyota sales report that she posts to the Toyota-Prius Yahoo! group (which was from January) there were only about

53,000 NHW11 sold in the US. As of the end of 2007 there were about 516,783 total sold so only about 10% of the Prius cars in the states are the "classic" NHW11 model with the current hatchback NHW20 model being the other 90% and growing.

The current one is more popular despite some strange people saying it looks like a cheese wedge or a cockroach partly because it is a midsize car while the classic was a compact car. It is kinda strange that even though the current hatchback is bigger and faster than the classic it also gets better fuel economy.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" ...

I do not think it is strange at all. They figured out how to do it better in this version. I expect the next version to do even better still. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:1UfEj.30020$TT4.937@attbi_s22...

Notice the "AFAIK" in my post??

Cathy

the NHW11 Prius was introduced to the US in late 2000 for the 2001

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:1UfEj.30020$TT4.937@attbi_s22...

To that end, a lot of planning/engineering went into the current Prius design. Ever notice the roofline, for ex?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Yes I did lol. Here have a dozen smileys as a sorry present :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:WthEj.30131$TT4.25096@attbi_s22...

Much better - thank you!! ;-)