Prius prices ... new higher than used

"Rising gas prices and the earthquake in Japan, which shuttered automotive production for weeks, are also playing a role. Dealers worried that about possible shortages from the Japanese automakers are stocking up on used fuel-efficient cars so they have something to sell later this summer.

The most startling effect is on the fuel-efficient Toyota Prius, which is worth $2,555 more today than it was when it was new a year ago, according to Kelley Blue Book, which tracks used car resale values."

So how are gassers doing?

"That's particularly true for fuel-efficient cars, which are seeing higher sales due to high gas prices. Manheim says prices on all compact and midsized cars are up 60% compared with six months ago. But large SUVs and pickup trucks are up just 5%."

Bob Wilson

Reply to
bwilson4web

What is a "gasser"?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Just a bit of "Greater Fool" willingness to pay, there....

Reply to
News

Good luck with that. Really endears consumers to the brand and dealer.

Reply to
News

Bob Wilson:

I bought my Prius new in mid 2006 from Carmax in Laurel, MD. They were in short supply, but Carmax was knocking a reasonable amount off the invoice.

It so happens that I wasn't on the waiting list. A few people who were on the list had rejected the car that I bought because it had leather and navigation and they wanted a basic commuter and weren't willing to spend the extra $ thousands for those options. I specifically wanted the nav system (don't really care much for leather). I just happened to go to Carmax on the right day and at the right time--it was late in the day and the sales manager was outraged that a new Prius was going to sit in the lot overnight--and I happened to have my checkbook with me, end of story.

Except to note that the color is "magnetic gray." I hated the color when I first saw it and I still hate it five years later.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Well, Bob ASS-U-MEs again.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Well, Bob ASS-U-MEs again.

You admit, then that Bob has made and ass of you again? You candor is appreciated.

Reply to
Al Falfa

What's that, Alf?

Bob ASS-U-MEd something, and it turned out he was completely wrong?

Not the first time, and not the last time.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

What's that, Alf?

Bob ASS-U-MEd something, and it turned out he was completely wrong?

Not the first time, and not the last time.

Hey Elmo, you called yourself and ass, I didn't. Are you going to let yourself get away with that?

Reply to
Al Falfa