Thinking of buying a Prius

Hello,

I spend a lot of time on the freeway commuting to work in my aging Honda Accord. I'm seriously thinking of buying a Prius to cut down on my gas expenses. I am hoping to have the following Prius-related questions answered:

Should I wait for the 2006 model? Is the maintenance on a Prius costly? Should I expect to put my name on a waiting list? (I live in Northen California) Should I expect to pay the MSRP (or more) price?

Thanks

-Adrian

Reply to
elmofongo

Not answering your questions:

The Prius will not save money in the short term compared to a lower priced car with high MPG. Don't expect the best mileage in high speed freeway driving. I'm getting ~45 MPG on the highway. The economy really shines at lower speeds.

Having said that, the Prius is a wonderful car.

Al

Reply to
A Sherman

Check out

for an expenses spreadsheet. Prius is not the cheapest car to own, not even the cheapest new car. But it is nice knowing that one is minimizing air pollution and nearly minimizing petroleum dependency. Note that you get a $2000 tax *credit*, not a deduction, for taking delivery in 2006. Thus it is much better to wait. Yes, expect to pay MSRP, even if you wait.

Reply to
richard schumacher

It's a tossup, but the 2006 models will be released in about five weeks.

No.

Probably.

Yes.

No.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

My experience is very different. I bought a used 2001 Prius with

36,000 miles for under $15,000. That is lway ess than a comparably equipped new car that gets way less gas mileage. Also, I get better gas mileage on the highway than I do in the city. When I fill up and get on the highway and drive I can get up to 53 mpg. When I fill up and do just city driving, the best I can get is 45 mpg. I think it is the fact that the engine starts up a lot more when city driving. I can't seem to just start out with just electric power. I think the new Prius may be better at that.

My used car still has the remainder of the 6 year 100,000 mile warranty. Also, it seems Toyota is trying to please us Prius owners. I have a knock in the electronic sterring rack. Toyota is replacing it for free. The service bulletin stated that they are doing this to keep in good graces with the Prius owner. So, there may be some perks to buying an older Prius. It is a wonderful car and I'm not sure I can ever go back to a non-hybrid.

Reply to
DBLZOOM

If you do a lot of stop and go during your commute (any of the bridges or passes) you may find the Prius has 2 or 3 times better milage than your Accord. It loves slow and go.

If you check all the dealers within driving range, you are likely to find a car today. I have met 3 people this month who did that and found one in stock at a dealer within 50 miles of their house. Expect to pay MSRP in these cases.

I have the 2002 model, 36,000 miles and have paid nothing for maintenance. :) The early models had a 3 year, 36000 mile pre-paid maintenance included in the price. Actually, I did replace the tires and paid for that.

enjoy!

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Try slowing down and drafting behind semi-trucks.

Reply to
Doug

And while you are at it, keep the speed as steady as possible. The cruise control does a great job of adjusting the speed smoothly so the ICE is not started unless it's really needed. Keeping speed at or below 65 makes a noticable difference too.

I get my best milage (on level ground) when I set the cruise at 55 MPH.

Reply to
dbs__usenet

Me too. Wind not-with-standing I can beat the EPA highway rating by 2 - 3 mpg at 55 mph. Great first step toward conservation would be rolling the speed limit back to 55.

Reply to
Bill

bad idea. If you're close enough to draft you're much too close to stop safely if (when!) the truck hits its brakes.

Reply to
richard schumacher

One of the best aspects of my self-imposed 55 mph speed limit is that I rarely find myself following too closely. :-)

Reply to
Bill

Above 65 or 70 mph drafting can be done at normal following distances (I use the Smith System four second rule) if the air is still. It is tough in some cars, but the Prius has little enough lateral stability to let you feel the buffeting at the tail of the draft. In older vehicles, like our Volvo, the weatherstripping has smashed down to the point the draft is audible as a quieter zone.

Unfortunately, even a breath of sidewind will shift the draft a lane or more, so it isn't something that can be used all that often.

Mike (an avid cyclist when I was younger)

Reply to
Michael Pardee