Rover 220GSi (1994) Gearbox Whine??

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Rover 220GSi (NA, not turbo). I've been noticing a whine that I assume is coming from the gearbox (but only because I've heard of gearboxes whining, not because I know for sure).

It's most noticeable in 2nd gear, but not really upon acceleration, more when the car is slowing down under engine breaking - this may partly be because the engine drowns it out when accelerating. It's not massively loud, but it is louder than my 120,000 mile 216, and this car only has 70,000 on the clock. If I disengage the clutch the noise stops.

Is this something I should be worried about? Is it something that needs to be fixed before it costs me a load of money?

I'm quite happy to ignore the noise so long as it'd not damaging anything.

Any views/comments would be welcomed.

Luke

Reply to
Luke

you wont damage anything, but take comfort in the fact that this is yet another common problem with rover engineering. noisy bearing on the first mtion shaft, this was more common on the smaller K-series engines, ussusally noticable in in 1st, 2nd, and reverse... i have known these gearboxes go for ages like this, but obviously it will get worse before it gets better.

Reply to
steve

Rover engineering ? The 220 has a Honda gearbox totally different than the k series models

Reply to
BTnews

i dont remember saying it was the same gearbox..............and btw the 2 litre twin cam engine is NOT a honda lump..................its built by rover..........

Reply to
steve

I dont remember saying it was a Honda lump I said GEARBOX ! cant you read ! .......

Reply to
BTnews

dont you have anything better to do.........nothing worse than sad gits like you who think its smart to correct everyone who posts.....the fact remains that these boxes are prone to wear..........wanna disect that one for me...????

Reply to
steve

Thanks for your help guys, glad that it's something that I can drown out with the stereo without worrying about the whole thing self-destructing on the way home from work one night.

Luke

Reply to
Luke

Might be worth checking the gearbox oil levels. My 214 SEi had a similar problem. Was much quieter after the box had some oil put in. It is not uncommon for oil to be lost via the breathers during clutch changes when the box is rolled around the floor/bench etc

Reply to
PhilT

Phil,

Is this something I can do myself? If so, where do I fill it?

Also, is there any chance I'll overfill it and break anything?!

Cheers,

Luke

Reply to
Luke