Focus with Gearbox whine - update!

Hi folks, as promised an update:-

Reported gearbox noise to dealer, referred by dealer to warranty company, referred to Nationwide Autos for inspection.

Nationwide autos reported slight noise in 4th and 5th gear, low oil level in gearbox no evidence of leak. They have offered to remove the gearbox and strip it down to find the problem. If it's mechanical failure I should be ok, if it's wear and tear it will cost me £150 for the diagnosis.

The mechanic advised me that it was almost certainly wear and tear, that it was unlikely that the gearbox would fail and that I should just turn the radio up! I asked about the cost to me of a strip and repair and was advised £750.

The car is 7 months old, has been driven 3,700 miles since purchase (now has

35,000 on clock) and is otherwise fine. I am thinking that the gearbox oil level should have been checked as part of the pdi / pre sale service and that the level has been low since purchase thus resulting in gearbox damage, am I resonable in expecting the dealer to take responsibility for sorting this out?

I purchased the car from Direct Cars at Sheffield

Looks like you were right about the gearbox oil level stuffed!

Thanks Andy.

Reply to
Not Disclosed

Me and many others... :)

I'd be surprised if most new cars are meant to be looked at by the owners, dealers prefer to tell you to go to them for everything cause that way they can make more money out of you...

So as long as you've followed the small print servicing arrangement they haven't got any option but to rectify the problem for you, IMO. Not that that means they might not try to say it's normal wear and tear (I've got 20+ years old cars that don't show that level of wear though!), so if they do try and say it's normal, or your fault, just argue with them, preferably loudly infront of potential customers... :)

Reply to
Stuffed

35k is hardly intergalactic mileage, I think you're being more than reasonable.

Regards tox

Reply to
God's gift to women

That would perhaps be about right if it's covered 200,000 miles...

How few?!

Yes. Consumer law is based on "reasonableness" as well...

I missed the original thread... it may be worth checking what they actually (claim to) check...

Reply to
DervMan