Range Rover Gearbox Oilleak

Anybody here with a knowledge on why my gearbox is seriously leaking? Its a

5 sp. LT77 Gearbox and it is leaking at the rearend where it is connected to the mittle diff.

It ran dry today and the Oil I gave it just now is pouring down on my driveway. It most be a gasket thats leaking, but why is it this bad. I cant drive the car. The Gearbox will be dry in 300 meters i guess.

Is the gearbox and the mittle diff connected with a gasket that goes all the way to the bottom of the gearbox?

Hope somebody can throw a little light on this subject

Yours Freddy

(Who was about to join a Land Rover weekend with the hole family)

Reply to
Freddy O. Christensen

On or around Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:44:58 +0200, "Freddy O. Christensen" enlightened us thusly:

there's a seal (in fact, 2) in between 'em, I should think. Certainly is on the autos I've been playing with this week. Separate oil seals on the back of the box and the front of the transfer box, and a small gap between 'em.

Just been looking, I reckon it's on the back of the extension housing on the LT77.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Freddy, If you mean at the rear of the gearbox where it is bolted to the transfer box. There is not a gasket between the pair of them only two oilseals, one on the front of the transfer box and one on the rear mainshaft of the gearbox They both share the same sleeve on the mainshaft. Rotty.

Reply to
Rotty

Hi Freddy, On the aluminium extension of the gearbox directly under the mainshaft there is a 8mm Allen grub screw screwed into the rear of the oilpump, should that come loose you would have the full force of the oilpump depositing your oil on your drive. Rotty

Reply to
Rotty

That would empty my gearbox within seconds I understand. This is afterall only "dripping". I can see that it has lost about 1/10 L the last hour.

I suppose its the seals You all mentioned. I need to take the whole gearbox down I suppose? It wont be possible just to remove the transferbox and renew the Oilseals? (By accident I have a complete Seals set for the gearbox)

Freddy

Reply to
Freddy O. Christensen

On or around Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:44:14 +0200, "Freddy O. Christensen" enlightened us thusly:

I think you can remove the transfer box in situ. Whether you can then do the seal on the main box without removing it, I don't know. It's a non-trivial task getting the 'box out from under the RR though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles