Diagnosis help...

2002 93, 67k miles

When moving, it sounds as if there's a steady brake squeak coming from the right front. After driving for ~5 mins, strong brake smell coming from right front. I have heard everything from a CV joint (inner OR outer), wheel bearing, and a frozen brake caliper.

1) diagnosis?

2) cost to repair?

Thanks for any advice...I feel like the Boston mechanics are trying to scam me for more $ than I need to spend.

Reply to
MainerInMass

"MainerInMass" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

It sounds and smells like a frozen brake caliper.

Jack up the car and try to rotate the wheel by hand. If it is hard to rotate I am sure you have a frozen caliper.

/B

Reply to
Blacksmith

Probably a frozen brake caliper. Just a matter of taking wheel off and cleaning the caliper up with solvent. May require freeing the cylinder also. An hour job with maybe fifteen dollars worth of parts. May need some need pads on that wheel.

Reply to
darthpup

Stuck caliper.

My mechanic applied this special tool to mine and all has been well since:

._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

Sounds a lot like a frozen brake caliper. Rebuilt, or even new, calipers are not that expensive and are relatively easy (low labor time) to install.

Reply to
Fred W