help with diagnosis

howdy all, I have a 91 miata with about 75k miles. About 10k miles back (maybe more) I had a bunch of work done including replacing timing belt/water pump etc... and it has run well ever since. tonight on my way home from work it started making a funny noise from the engine that reminded me of coins rattling in aluminum. it was quite loud and lasted for about 30 seconds, which was the time I was looking for a place to stop. before I could stop, the noise stopped and the battery light came on. I drove a bit and pulled into a parking lot and let the car sit there idling. I popped the hood and everything looked normal, but I noticed some air bubbling into my coolant reservoir and a drop of what looked like oily water dripped out. I let it idle for a few more minutes and it idled very smoothly, and with everything else (lights/temp/fan/noises) seeming normal, I decided to drive home (I was only about 10 blocks from my house). While driving home, I thought the temp was running high, not above the "normal range", but higher than I recall, but I got home with no incident (though the battery light stayed on). Once I got home I let it idle as bit more and noticed more of the oily water dripping from the overflow of the coolant reservoir, but everything else seemed normal. I shut the car off and it seems to start with no problems, but the battery light keeps staying on, and I am nervous to actually drive it. Any ideas?

Robert Treat

Reply to
Amber Treat

The fact that your battery light is on would indicate that your charging system is not working. Your alternator probably failed or the drive for the alternator. If the belt that drives your alternator also drives your water pump that could be the cause of it overheating. Lugnut

Reply to
torque wrench

I couldn't agree more. Sounds like the alternator failed. The car will drive to sometime draining the battery.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus