Just about to give up on the radio -- '94 9K CSE

Hi again,

I have tried just about everything to get my radio going in the car. I've tried every suggestion I can find as far as getting it to accept the code. I'm seriously considering getting an aftermarket stereo. I'll give it few days, but I'm wondering what should I be seeing just before I enter the code. Should it say "Code" as it now says or should it be a series of dashed lines? Basically, it just goes back to displaying code after I put it in. My stereo setup is the head unit with a CD player underneath and an amplifier under the passenger seat. I have checked all fuses. I have left the key in the on position for an hour and 15 minutes several times to no avail. I even tried the freezer theory (desperate times call for desperate measures). The dealer who sold it to me said the stereo was working just fine before he put a new battery in before I picked up the car. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
wemic

Since you haven't gotten many suggestions, I'll throw in a long shot. I am more familiar with the Clarion radios in older models. Is that what you have or were they installing Harmon-Kardon in '94? In any case, some of the Clarion models have a lithium battery inside the radio. At this age, it might have gone flat, particularly if it was disconnected from the power source for several days. When the battery is gone, all sort of odd things happen with the radio - not accepting the code might be one of them. I hope this helps.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

A battery!!! Dang! Yes, I have the Clarion. I'm going to pull that after dinner and see if that is the problem. Thanks!

Wemic

Reply to
wemic

Nothing is ever easy. I found what looks like a battery with a yellow plastic(?) ring around it mounted vertically. Unfortunately, it looks to be soldered in. Time to pull out the iron and see what I can do....tight space though.

Reply to
wemic

The battery in mine is also soldered in. It is the style that looks like a coin and had a yellow, plastic covering on the edge. Markings indicate that it is a Panasonic BR2330. It also indicates it is 3volt, as is typical with lithium batteries.

Walt

Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Well, the results weren't so good. It still won't accept the code although typing in the code while it's beeping stops the beeping. Strange. I think it's time for that aftermarket.

Reply to
wemic

Please read all of this message! When entering the code, as soon as you enter the first digit the display changes from "code" to "IN" until all five digits have been entered correctly, if you make a mistake or enter an incorrect code the display changes back to "code". If you do not succeed after 3 tries the radio must be left switched ON for an hour, you then get 1 more try, if you fail then the same thing happens you must leave the radio on for another hour. If you try to input the code when the radio is locked out then the word "code" will remain in the display and not change to "IN" when you try to enter the code. Of course it may be that you have been given the wrong code, But your dealer should be able to give you the code for the car if you give them the chassis number and reg number, if the radio has been changed then you need to give them the serial number of the radio, [stamped into the case]. HTH, Tom, Saabtech.

Reply to
saabtech

Thanks for the reply I did give the Saab dealer the numbers off the radio. They weren't stamped into the case but rather typed on the lable. The dealer verified the number I had on the card with the serial numbers off the radio. Is there something else I should be looking for? I gave the dealer the PU# and the serial#.

Also, when I enter the first digit the display just shows the first, then successive digits I enter. "IN" never appears. There are only 4 digits. It immediately switches to CODE after I enter the 4th digit. It's driving me crazy.

Reply to
wemic

If it is a 9000 with clarion head unit with a single slot cd under, Then the code you have is wrong, It should be five digits, Regards, Tom.

Reply to
saabtech

That's what I have alright. How can the code be wrong since I verified it with the dealer? Is the head unit matched to the CD? If that's the case, it would explain some of the discrepancy if the previous owner swapped out either unit. However, why does it kick back to code after I have entered 4 digits (this is even after I do the 1hr thing)? Do the correct units all start with a specific number that will allow 5 digits? Not questioning your knowledge here...just trying to understand.

Derek

Reply to
wemic

If you PM me your chassis number and sn I will try to verify your code, It will not be the first time that the code issued by the dealer is wrong.......... Regards, Tom

Reply to
saabtech