In praise of Optimax.

In fact I was suspicious that it was snake oil. I have tried it now and then, and wondered if it was all in the mind, but an independent article in 'Mechanics' renewed my interest. Shell claim that it can increase the bhp, especially in turbo cars, but didn't give any figures. However, the cleaning effect on the injectors can be a plus for older engines. I decided a clean test and filled my tank with ordinary, then changed back to Optimax the following week. The dreaded fuel cut out at full acceleration was no longer there. The engine runs more consistently with no hesitation or flat spots. Car is 1993 9000 CSE 2.0 LPT.

Reply to
Johannes

"Johannes" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam-sizefitter.com...

Hi Johannes.

As your car is a LPT - and therefore running at baseboost - you won't see any increase in performance. On a FPT however, is a whole different story. I used Shell V-Power (Optimax) through Germany, Austria and Italy last summer. Here in DK, you can only get V-Power 97 Octane, and regular unleaded 98 octane. I tell you, with the German V-Power 100 octane, a FPT 9000 is running like at bat out of hell - whouw! You can certainly feel the increase in performance.

Reply to
Henrik B.

According to the article in 'Mechanics' February 2006, Optimax should help cleaning off deposits, in particular on the back of inlet valves. And such deposits can sap the performance in old engines. Then there is also the Octane rating of 98 (in the UK). The article suggest that many manufacturer states the bhp from testing with high octane fuel. Hence you might not get the promised bhp when using regular (95) fuel.

However, one poster in uk.rec.cars.maintenance once claimed that Optimax was bad for Honda cars?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

in article snipped-for-privacy@nospam-sizefitter.com, Johannes at snipped-for-privacy@nospam-sizefitter.com wrote on 12/02/2006 12:23:

How is it a after a week? I find Optimax kind of "goes off".

I know the C900 T16 crowd highly recommend it, but finding a C900 T8 pilot who rates it is pretty rare. If it works for you, great ... Go with it. Seems like the 16V engines are okay with it. I run it through about 1 in 10 tanks, rather than one of those injector cleaner products.

Our FIAT loves it ... Well, the fuel was engineered for Ferrari :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday