New(er) SAAB for an old SAABer

OK, as some of you "regulars" know, I have been a long time enthusiast of both SAAB and BMW cars. I've owned 6 different SAABs and 4 different BMWs over the years. Most recently I had been leaning toward the "blau mit weis" primarily for handling performance reasons. I still prefer the feel of RWD in a performance car and do not find it a major detriment when the going gets sloppy.

But after reading (in this news group, among other places) about how much improved the chassis and handling on the 9-3 Sport Sedans I finally went out and test drove a few of them this past week.

Actually, I started out by looking at a new 9-2x with a 5 speed. They are being attractively priced and dealers are taking $3000 off the top before negotiations. I was underwhelmed. I thought it was seriously underpowered (at least in the normally aspirated versions) and the engine was far buzzier than what I expected, considering the boxer 4 design.

For about the same price, I started looking at some off-lease, low mileage 2003 9-3 Linear Sport Sedans. I was suitably impressed. The engineers have done a darned good job eliminating most (if not all) of the complaints that I had with the prior 9-3 chassis. There is none of the prior torque steering, sloppy shifting in the manual, or the delayed throttle release that drove me crazy with my prior 2000 9-3 convertible. It also has much better road manners at highway speeds and in aggressive cornering. I was intrigued.

Then I drove an '03 Vector. Wow.

...I pick it up tomorrow.

Reply to
Fred W

Good to hear--enjoy! Since you've got experience with BMWs, please let us know how they compare after some time on the road with the Vector.

Reply to
saabyurk