Removing Antenna

I have a '94 Saab Turbo Conv. and the antenna broke. I want to remove the whole assembly and replace it with a non power generic one. How do I remove it? The access hole seems too small to get to it easily.

Reply to
itten

itten (itten ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

c900?

The side trim inside the boot peels out the way easily, then unfasten the mounting bracket, and the whole lot just lifts out - but the aerial does need to be fully down.

There's three connectors - the aerial lead, an ignition live and the switched live from the head unit. If you're putting a non-power aerial in, you'll need to prevent those two from shorting out against the bodywork.

Reply to
Adrian

I had that problem with my 9000. You can buy just the mast, remove the old broken one, and feed the new one into the power antenna housing. Make sure you get the right mast unit because there is a small collar that must match your existing unit. Not an especially difficult job. The dealer might not have the replacement mast but the aftermarket suppliers will. I think it was around $20.

Reply to
Milo

Including the broken piece of nylon wire inside the motor...

The new mast has a new collar as well. You must either take out the old one, but that's usually corroded stuck inside the antenne tube, or take the new one off and use the old one, but then you must disassemble the antenna tube, and push the new mast into the tube from the bottom up.

This may help too;

MH