[Saab_c900] removing early-'H' engine coolant drain plug - use a 36 mm socket!

Hi everyone,

Tried getting started on dismantling the head on the engine in the turbo car today - got stuck with the engine block coolant drain plug. On the early year 'H' engines it goes directly into the block and needs a 36 mm socket or spanner. A shifter won't do it as I found out - there's precious little room and no way to view the plug while trying to get a tool over the plug.

Found a 36 mm 1/2" drive 6-point socket on Ebay tonight which I've purchased and that should be so much better than a dodgy 12" shifting spanner at getting that drain plug out. Once that's done I can proceed with the rest of preparing to remove the cylinder head and turbo from the engine (turbo is going off for a rebuilding quote).

My Saab tool page at "

" will beammended to include at least one source of 36 mm socket. More news as it happens!

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

You could always take the exhaust manifold off, no?

John

Reply to
John B

sure there isn't another plug? the big one is usually for the block heater. Should be another one below.....

Reply to
john

It turned out that I'd mis-read the Bentley manual and it's the small 19 mm plug that is meant to be removed. I've posted a thread at saablink.net all about getting that drain plug out and the end result.

8-) Needless to say that the smaller plug was a pain in the ass to remove.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Dewick