What's whirring sound from engine of 9-3?

I just got a 9-3, and though it's quiet there's a quite audible noise from the engine. It's kind of a whirring spluttery noise that goes up and down in frequency with revs when it's in gear. What is this noise - anyone know?

Probably the Turbo. You know that nice thing that pushes you back in your seat when you press the throttle.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

--
You have no right to protection against being offended.

Probably the Turbo. You know that nice thing that pushes you back in your seat when you press the throttle. >

Well, it did on my 900 classic turbo. the new car is a 9-3SE - I just got it so haven't had time to look up all the specs - this has a turbo then? I'm being really ignorant here.

Could also be a bad AC unit. I had that in my car and it had to be replaced. If it stays on for a few microseconds when the engine is turned off, thats what it is

On 4 Apr 2006 18:06:30 -0700, lacka snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You didn't mention if the car was new or used, or what year... that info would help. For a car with a few miles, I'd second the A/C difficulties or possibly the alternator. Also could be the upper idler pulley or belt.

But, it's hard to hear from where I am :-) You should probably have a dealer or *Saab* independent listen to it if it is a used car.

I'll see if it stays on when engine is turned off. It could maybe be described as a sucking/gurgling sound as well as a whirring - hard to be precise. Appreciate all suggestions.

Car is 2002 used 9-3 saloon SE Andy