What's whirring sound from engine of 9-3?

Threaded View

I just got a 9-3, and though it's quiet there's a quite audible noise
from the engine. It's kind of a whirring spluttery noise that goes up
and down in frequency with revs when it's in gear. What is this noise -
anyone know?

Re: What's whirring sound from engine of 9-3?

Probably the Turbo. You know that nice thing that pushes you back in
your seat when you press the throttle.

performanceandmedia@gmail.com says...

You have no right to protection against being offended.

Re: What's whirring sound from engine of 9-3?

Probably the Turbo. You know that nice thing that pushes you back in
your seat when you press the throttle. >

Well, it did on my 900 classic turbo. the new car is a 9-3SE - I just
got it so haven't had time to look up all the specs - this has a turbo
then? I'm being really ignorant here.

Re: What's whirring sound from engine of 9-3?

Could also be a bad AC unit.  I had that in my car and it had to be
replaced.  If it stays on for a few microseconds when the engine is
turned off, thats what it is

Re: What's whirring sound from engine of 9-3?

You didn't mention if the car was new or used, or what year... that
info would help. For a car with a few miles, I'd second the A/C
difficulties or possibly the alternator. Also could be the upper idler
pulley or belt.

But, it's hard to hear from where I am :-) You should probably have a
dealer or *Saab* independent listen to it if it is a used car.

Re: What's whirring sound from engine of 9-3?

I'll see if it stays on when engine is turned off. It could maybe be
described as a sucking/gurgling sound as well as a whirring - hard to
be precise. Appreciate all suggestions.

Car is 2002 used 9-3 saloon SE  Andy