91 SC1

I have a 91 SC that has suddenly had the odometer stop working. All the other gages, tach, and speedometer work just fine. I disassembled the unit and cleaned and lubricated the odometer unit but it did not fix the problem. It seemed that the odometer must be bad so I bought a used complete head cluster at the local used parts store. The Odometer in that unit does not work either. Now, on to the question... Does anyone know why just the odometer would stop working and what can be done to repair it? Is there a sensor somewhere that regulates the odometer?

Thanks

Reply to
JJ

JJ wrote: > I have a 91 SC that has suddenly had the odometer stop working. > All the other gages, tach, and speedometer work just fine. I > disassembled the unit and cleaned and lubricated the odometer > unit but it did not fix the problem. It seemed that the odometer > must be bad so I bought a used complete head cluster at the local > used parts store. The Odometer in that unit does not work either. > Now, on to the question... Does anyone know why just the odometer > would stop working and what can be done to repair it? Is there a > sensor somewhere that regulates the odometer?

So the speedometer working? I believe that unit is purely mechanical, so if the speedometer is working, the odometer should too. Could be the used unit was already broken.

Certainly when you disassembled the unit you should have seen the mechanism that connects speedometer to odometer, and anything that could interfere with the connection.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Reply to
John Jennings

That still seems a little odd, as one would think that the speedometer and odometer would be run off the same pickup on the driveshaft. I wonder if there is some sort of interlock to allow the unit to be used as a demo without registering miles, or some such?

I suppose you might poke around > Thanks for the reply. The entire unit is hooked up electronically.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

There will only be one speed sensor. The only reason I can imagine for the odometer not working but the speedometer working, assuming a good replacement instrument cluster (which may not be a valid assumption here), would be some kind of strange power supply problem..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Reply to
John Jennings