help with 93 sl2 problem

The patient is a 93 sl2 standard with 110000 miles on it, red in colour if that makes a difference. It will on occasion when shifting or idleing just let the idle drop to a stall , or sometimes down to nothing then rebound back up to about

1500 rpm. There are no warning lights coming on at any time, and there seems to be no real set trigger for when it will occure, although it does seem to happen more often within 5 minutes of starting< hot or cold>. but it has started sputtering and dieing off while it is at a steady hiway speed. Sometimes it will start up right way after stalling and others it will act like it is flooded and need to be "foot to the floor" started. Has anyone encountered this before, or have any suggestions as to what to check? Oil was recently changed and made no difference in the problem. Any feed back is greatly appreciated robin email to kallita at telusplanet.net or reply in group. tia
Reply to
james moffat

I'd clean the throttle body. This is a very simple procedure and would cost you less than $2.00 for a can of the required Carb + Choke Cleaner. That and a rag are all the required supplies, a screwdriver (to loosen the air hose's clamp) is the only tool required.

If you want more information on this, I (or many others in this group) can supply it.

I've had the same problem on different cars (including my 92 SL2) and this has fixed it every time.

- David

Reply to
David Gintz (formerly newdive

Make sure to use throttle body cleaner, not carb cleaner.

Reply to
Mike

Really, Mike? Why? My mechanic said carb cleaner was okay. What's the difference?

- David

Reply to
David Gintz (formerly newdive

I have a 94 SL2 Automatic

I was wondering how to clean out the fuel injected part outta my car??

Thanks

Reply to
eleer

You will get many answers to this question.

First off I would try a bottle of Techron at double the strength that the bottle recommends. Saturn told me that 10 years ago and it does a great job.

James

Reply to
James1549

I have actually also used Carb Cleaner, but am told that the contents of throttle body cleaner are specifically made not to damage O2 sensors and Cat Converters. Apparently there is something (at least in some brands of carb cleaner) that may harm these units. No personal experience from me, I've seen the warning in several various places.

check this add for a combo Carb/throttle body cleaner - it specificallymentions that it does not contain the contents that can damage O2 sensors,cat converters and injectors.http://amrepdata.amrep.com/MRO/PSS/Aerosols/ICA736PSS.pdf

Reply to
Mike

thanks for all of the replies, and I will try to do a throttle body clean this weekend if it ever stops snowing. kallita

Reply to
james moffat