2001 Saturn LS200 Rear tail light assembly

Hi again;

There is a electrical contact problem with the rear tail light assembly. When the brake is applied the tail light (if on) goes out. However the brake light does not come on. Saturn 'repaired' this once. Two weeks later it is on the blink again. Anyone have this problem? How did you solve it (if you did)?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Newsguy

Sounds like a classic ground connection problem. Check for a high resistance from the groud side of either bulb socket to chassis ground. Probably a corroded connector.

Reply to
Bill Kilgore

Sounds like the ground wire was disconnected/broken. Check for continuity from the assembly (where the wire is connected) to ground (car body) while the power/lights are off.

Reply to
ns

I would take it back to the dealer if it was done 2 weeks ago. Usually repairs are warranted for 90 days.

Steve

Reply to
Speez

It may be dangerous to assume that yours is identical to my '01 lw300 but here goes.

I had an intermittent brake light and found that the connection between the bulb carrier and the tail light assy was loose. The contacts in the tail light assy are made from stamped metal, held in place by melted back plastic posts. One of the contact strips was bent out of place. Careful straightening put it back in place.

Did have one Oops though. in troubleshooting, left the lights on while fiddling with the bulb carrier. Accidentally shorted out the contacts and blew the fuse. I later found that the status lights for the ABS on the instrument panel were not working. Car was still under 60 day used car warranty and Saturn replaced the body controller. Not sure if the two are related.

No problems since.

Oppie

btw: If you break any of the plastic nibs, Devcon Plastic welder is fantastic for repairs.

Reply to
Oppie

Your explanation seems to be the same one as mine. I can hold the bulb in a certain position while the brake pedal is pushed and the light goes on. I will look at the tabs again.

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Newsguy

I am starting to have the same problem. I have a 2000 saturn LS1 and if I hold the bulb in place, it'll work. It does seem loose. What is the best way to tackle this?

Reply to
JMedlin3314

I am starting to have the same problem. I have a 2000 saturn LS1 and if I hold the bulb in place, it'll work. It does seem loose. What is the best way to tackle this?

Reply to
JMedlin3314

My old post is still showing on the news server that I read from. Not all servers have the same retention of old posts though...

Here is a repost of mine from 4/15/04. Hope it helps you. Oppie