"Shift to D2" Light

My automatic 92 Saturn had the "Shift to D2" light go on a few days ago. Then the transmission started acting funny. While in "Drive" it would accelerate very slowly as if starting from a high gear. When shifting from "drive" to D3, D2 or reverse, the whole car would jump as if the motor mounts are totally loose. As soon as I accelerated to

30MPH the "Shift to D2" Light would go off. After a day with this going on the battery died just as I was pulling up to my driveway. I replaced the battery and the car drove fine for one day. Now the same problem started again. The "shift to D2" light is on, and the transmission is acting funny again. What is going on?

  1. What does transmission have to do with electrical power? I thought it is purely mechanical.

  1. I am thinking the problem might be that the Alternator is bad. But I can't explain why the transmission is acting the way it is, and why the "Battery Low" light did not go on. Any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Mook

Definitely get the charging system checked first. The transmission is shifted by electric valves (not sure about your '92 though.) and if you don't have good power, all bets are off. There have been many posts here about all manner of strange things happening that eventually trace back to the battery or alternator.

Reply to
Oppie

My wife's 92 SL1 did the exact same thing when the alternator went bad. No "Battery Low" light at all.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa