Shift Light

I have a 1988 245 with a manual transmission. If I drive over about 50 miles, the shift light comes on, and stays on. If I stop and restart the car, it is still on. If we are away for the weekend, it will stay on the entire time, and not go off until we are back home on Monday. Two questions:

What is the probable problem?

Is it OK to just remove the bulb in the Instrument Cluster, and forget about it?

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John von Colditz