Wheel Alignment explanation

I had a 4 wheel alignment on my L200 but I don't really understand the results.

Please consider the front left tire. The printout had three columns labelled: Actual, Before and Specified Range (SR). The rows were labelled Camber, Caster and Toe. Only the Caster was above the SR on both the Actual and Before. That is, 4.7 degrees and 4.7 degrees, whereas the SR was 3.2

4.2 degrees.

What does Actual mean and what does Before mean? Does the above result mean there was no change in the Castor?

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

I would say that the caster did not change during the alignment. Caster will not wear tires abnormal. Increased caster will make the car go in a straight line better, but will make it harder to steer. With power steering you will not feel the difference. Is it enough to make steering parts wear-out premature? I doubt it.

Sometimes expierenced front end guys look at the book, but still use their own settings that seem to work best.

James

Reply to
James1549

Sounds like the wheel that has the 4.7 caster could not be adjusted to within the specification. I would not be overly concerned, but you may want to ask the place that did it why they didn't bring it to within spec and what action would be needed to do so. BTW, the "before" is the reading before alignment and the "actual" is what it read after the procedure was performed.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

PAUL REPLIES:

YES, you should be told what was the reason for the caster not being brought into the "spec" range. I recommend getting it fixed, unless both wheels have the same out-of-spec caster. Generally, on a strut assembly, the caster should not be out of spec, as it is pretty much "stable/set" unless there is a problem.

Uneven caster on the front wheels can result in unpredictable results on rough surfaces. That is my opinion on the matter.

Reply to
paul