Where is the fuel filter for a 94SL1

I thought the battery had drined after leaving the lights on. When I went to jump it...the car starts...runs on iddle without cables for 10 minutes no problem, but when I try driving it, the car stalls and dies. When I try to start it again, the battery is dead. I jumped it again, and as running on iddle, I push the gas pedal..OK, once I try driving it again, when switching to second gear, it stalls and dies. I thought it could be the Fuel filter, does anyone have diagrams (.pdf) or any other format, where the fuel filter is located on a 94 SL1.

Thanks

Reply to
94SL1

If you have to jump start this vehicle, it would not likely be related to the fuel filter. As for it running 10 minutes after you jump it and then dying, this sounds like a bad alternator and possibly a bad battery as well. Once you put the jumper cables on the battery it gets charged from the running/good vehicles charging system. It builds up enough charge to run for a few minutes, but since the alternator is probably not recharging the battery it eventually dies since it can't generate the required spark and/or the computer does not see sufficient voltage to keep the system alive so it shuts down in either case. If you then need to re-jump to get it re-started, this would seem to confirm the bad alternator. By the way, as the voltage drops, the car will likely run like crap since the computer which controls everything is not getting sufficient power and the signals from the sensors are likely out of the desired range. Fix the electrical system first, then see how it runs before doing more.

In answer to your question, I'm not exactly sure where the fuel filter is on a 1994, but on a 1996 it was on the driver's side firewall down near the bottom of the vehicle. Follow the gas line from the fuel tank and it should be easy to find.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Buy yourself a digital multimeter. ( they are inexpensive these days and it is kind of difficult to do any electrical troubleshooting without one). With the meter you can measure the voltage across the battery and it should measure about 13.5v when the car is running. If it measures less then that, turn the car off and measure the voltage again it should measure at least

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

The fuel filter is underneath the fire wall. It can be accessed by lifting the car and sliding underneath at firewall level. The fuel hose has to be disconnected first by taking out the air filter assembly. But I really don't think it is your fuel filter. I would put my money on the alternator..

good luck...

Reply to
Laurent Doiron