Breaking Into Your Own Car

Calvin, I remember my father saying the same thing, and he was as honest as the day is long.

I haven't forgotten some licence plates for you. I'm due home tomorrow. Last weekend at home, the weather was too miserable for me to scour the yard and barn for plates. But I will send you some.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

The ones with the flat button? True that! But with the 'Japanese tool' (goes under the glass and comes up inside) it's a piece of cake. _____________________________________________

............... the WORST to open IMO is a mid 80's Toyota truck.. the rods in the door are enclosed in steel boxes and are NOT accessible --Shiva--

Reply to
Dwain G.

Just break a vent window and replace it later.

Reply to
Loy Daniel

About the same price as a vent glass...

Reply to
Loy Daniel

I rush no one and allow no one to rush me, I am gratefull! Thanks!!

Reply to
oldcarfart

you mean to the lever inside panel of the door? wrong model.. 'think Focus rear door-same tool'

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Next time you look at one, lift the door handle up about half way and stick a pencil up the resulting hole in the door so you can push on the bottom of the lock button :)

Rob

snipped-for-privacy@notanywhere.net wrote:

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Reply to
Paul Villforth

no schitt, did he even know what a Studebaker was? We have professional locksmiths on this NG (Shiva is the one that always comes to my mind when I see "key" issues with classic vehicles.

Reply to
oldcarfart

because he dont do that much OLDER.. how many you need? I got...30 hanging on hook, maybe? just regular aftermarket ones, NOT teh Chrysler or Stude Logo..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I am 'frugal'.. isn't everyone here? I do NOT have the tool necessary to program new Ford keys into a vehicle.. Ford started with these in 86, and in 2000 REQUIRES a hand held diagnostic tool to 'add/fix' electronic key problems.. The first version out was $2300.. this does NOT cut keys, just takes care of the electronic/computer issue.. the next version was the size of a laptop with a full touch screen.. $4500 or so.. the LATEST version is a 'palm pilot' size unit.. $400.. PLUS a grand a month to keep it up to date.. the local dealer charges $65 to do that.. HE can have the tool expense..and he enjoys it.. I do the MECHANICAL key part for him, and enjoy that.. Ditto GM, same arrangement with that dealer.. but their tool is $2900 now.. and in MY neck of the woods if it AINT a Ford or Chevy, there is not much CLOSE, as far as a particular brand that requires additional electronic gadgets..but there area LOT of carts that DO require these tools.. almost all new, especially foreign..

IF, IMO ONLY, a person was to become a 'new car' locksmith, you need a new laptop, about a grand or so, with XP-NO Vista.. a couple of key machines- 1 can cost as much as $13,000 for one of the new fancy ones.. plus a lot of hand held devices, estimates vary from $15,000 to 25,000, and a LOT of VERY expensive software, for foreign cars.. this car needs a code-this software will give you the code, given certain input...$395 for the disk, and here are several like that..

so, lets say you drop $50k and 'now you can do cars'... maybe..

Lets go into the local 'hardware store' that has a key machine..he has a 4 sided or 6 sided key tower.. that selection will USUALLY cover 90% of the MOST COMMON CURRENT KEYS.. thats the design of it..and none of the 'high dollar/high security' car keys on it..

go into a lock shop-maybe his specialty is institutional work, meaning businesses, and house type stuff.. he IS a locksmith but he never sees a car..

he might do alarms in addition, or electronic lock systems..

I have an interest in old cars, PLUS I am in an area where we got older cars..one of my better customers, till he got sick recently ONLY dealt with 60-64 Chevy Pickups..nothing older OR newer..

the oldest car i worked on was the steering wheel off a 23 Ford..it had 4 locks on the wheel and column by itself, all different the oldest SAFE i ever fixed was made in 1856..and was still being used..

It all depends on your area..

and BTW, LAST YEAR, of all the foreign car keys I got, I think I sold about 15 FOR THE YEAR..

Him not having that blank would not really concern me as he being a 'bad locksmith'.. there is none of those old 'muscle car' type in that particular area..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Reply to