'05 Forester XT (USA) Whistling noise

I recently noticed that my 05 Forester XT developed a slight whistling noise.Sort of like air whooshing. I notice it on moderate accelleration, and as soon as I back off slightly on the gas pedal, it goes away. Anyone else had this problem? No changes have been made in the vehicle exterior, so I know it's not wind noise. TIA

Reply to
QX

Any service done recently? Sometimes the intake filter airbox might not get clipped back properly on some soobs.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

We have a 2001 Forester S. Have had this problem since we bought it and...please...if you find a solution I'd be grateful. There are a few of us out there with this problem but I've never come across the solution. But what an annoyance, and shame on Subaru for not solving it.

'Our noise' occurs between 55-75 mph. The 'solution' proposed by the dealer (who could hear the noise) was to disassemble the wheels/bearings/etc, but that it wasn't practicle... He (at Stohlman's in Vienna, VA) said that it wasn't the first he had come across, ie there is a percentage of them, a production glitch of some sort.

Reply to
Verizon.net

I have a 05 Subaru. I have the same problem when I am driving on the Interstate. Right when I get above 60-65 it starts this really annoying whistle sound. I have not talked to my dealer b/c I forgot about it until I saw it here. What the hell is it?

Reply to
nrs2001

Go here:

You will need to be a member to view the pictures. This seems to be a common problem and an easy fix. Goodluck! carbon man

Reply to
carbon man

It's not at all a common problem and it's definitely not caused by wind noise. He's talking about a whining noise that only occurs on acceleration between 55-75 mph. Take your foot off the pedal and it stops immediately. Only a very few Subarus and their unlucky owners experience it.

Reply to
hjmcmaster

Air whooshing, or an actual whistling noise like someone's blowing high note on a flute?

If it's just whooshing, it could be the sound the turbo and wastegate makes. On both my old WRX and my STi, there's a definite whoosh that comes from the turbo. Depending on how fast I'm going the sound varies between the turbine noise an airplane makes and the sound a heavy wind makes going through treetops.

On the other hand, if it's an actual whistling and it comes on at 65mph or so, then you could be experiencing the same issue as I am/have/did. Try tucking in the drivers' and passenger's rear-view mirrors and see if the noise goes away. If so, then it's airflow over the rear-views.

If it's neither of these, when you do solve it or at least find out what it is, please post to the newsgroup so we can all learn about what it is together.

Reply to
k. ote

Your point? It could be the angle in the wind or crosswind. I have/had a very similar issue with my STi and my old WRX and tucking in the mirrors solved the problem. It had nothing to do with the sealant--it was airflow over the outside rearview mirrors. I would accelerate and hear it, lift off and not. It wasn't anything mechanical or the problem wouldn't disappear when I tucked my mirrors in, and the problem wouldn't be solved by others with a bit of black electrician's tape around the elbow joints in the mirrors.

Reply to
k. ote