1992 subaru loyale

Help!! My sub keeps overheating, I took the termostat out, checked the fan which is running and checked for good circulation of water. I can't figure out whats wrong. Please help if you can.

Reply to
trish clapper via CarKB.com

Replace the thermostat. Not a good idea to run without one. As for the overheating problem, best guess is the radiator is clogged and begs for replacement.

Reply to
johninKY

Hi,

I'm w/ JohninKY: replace the t-stat, and go OEM on that part. I've had better results with factory t-stats than aftermarket in several makes. And we don't know how many miles your Loyale's got, but the factory radiators were problematic after around 100k miles. I'll vote it's probably best to replace the radiator, too. Take a look at

and see what they have in 2-row units. When I replaced the one in my '90 Loyale a few summers ago, they had 2-rows for what most people wanted to get me just a single row like the factory unit.

Why a 2-row? I live in a pretty warm part of SoCal (not far from Palm Springs) and summer's pretty warm. Coincidentally, my secondary radiator fan died shortly after replacing the radiator. The car actually ran cooler with the new 2-row radiator and one fan than it ever did with the factory unit and both! Only caveat about radiator.com is there are several different radiators Subaru used in those years, and I ended up having to take my old one to the warehouse to be matched for fit (I think the lady went thru 4 different catalog numbers to get the right one, but it was worth it.) So if they have a warehouse near you, it might be worth the trip to take care of business in person.

Also, when you get around to replacing your coolant, be sure to use a

50-50 mix with DISTILLED water. It can make a HUGE difference over a long period of time. Much less corrosion and crud builds up than if you just use tap water.

Good luck,

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright