2000 outback wagon dead battery

three times I have gone to use my car, and the battery is totally drained. Usually after sitting idle for awhile. could be the door not closed properly, rear latch not closed properly, interior light then remaining on? or...security system (added with remote starter) draining the battery?. If its the first , could I get some sort of relay to turn the interior lights off after five minutes?.. I have heard of others with this problem, they usually get rid of the car, as the dealer can not track it down...anybody else have the problem?

I do charge the battery up for two days and all well again for awhile. Rod

Reply to
fotoman

Maybe use an ammeter at the battery and pull fuses until there's significant drop?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

If its the first , could I get some sort of >relay to turn the interior lights off after five minutes?..

Simplest first, just in case... Have you checked that the parking light switch on the top of the steering column shroud is turned *off*? Everyone else who owns a Subie has probably been cught out by that one at least once over the years - especially when it's so easy to inadvertently knock it on while detailing the interior ... :-) Cheers I do charge the battery up for two days and all well again for awhile. Rod

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

Quite possible, especially if not dealer installed thought that doesn't always matter. Try disabling the system and leave it off for a while (if circumstances permit) and see if that helps

Do you leave anything plugged in the power outlets? How old is the battery?

Reply to
John

Hi, How old is the battery? And there could be a phantom current draw for some reason. Only thing drawing very small amount of current is dash clock. With everything turned off, remove battery + cable and put a small 12V bulb in series. If bulb burns bright, something is drawing current when it supposes not. You have to find the culprit.

Reply to
Tony Hwang