Outback wagon = Outback Legac wagon?

I'm looking at picking up an '05 Outback 2.5i wagon (if there is such a thing). The confusion comes in the trim names. The Subaru website shows such a model. When you go to a dealer, they only have Outback Legacy Wagons. Is the name Legacy refer to additional options to the standard Outback (which the dealer makes more money on)? More confusing is they have a Legacy Wagon (not Outback). To add to it all, I was told the Outback started as a trim for the Legacy a few years back but came into its own model. What gives? I just want an Outback Wagon with no frills but an automatic tranny...

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Outback refers to a type of Legacy. TG

Reply to
TG

The Imprezza and the Legacy both have "Outback" versions. "Outback" means the cars has beefier suspension and additional trim details and features. The Outback Wagon (OBW) is a Legacy. the Outback Sport is an Imprezza.

So, you can get a Legacy Wagan, an Outback Wagon (a beefier Legacy), or an Outback Sport (Imprezza mini-wagon).

Most dealers only carry the OBW (as opposed to a plain Legacy wagon) because that's what everyone wants.

Reply to
Alan

I see now. I'm looking for the Legacy/Outback Wagon then. The Subaru website memtions them as either Legacy OR Outback models only. The dealers list them as you say - the Legacy and the Legacy/Outback models.

Thanks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, it depends somewhat on the time frame you restrict your definition to:

Without a lot more research I can't be 100% definitive but most of what was said so far is on the money; 'Outback' had in general referred to a trim level that includes a different color scheme, different suspension (that generally raises the hight a bit), and interior choices limited to the model.

So, yes you can get an Impreza based Outback (Sport) or a Legend based Outback Wagon (it's bigger) - but to throw somewhat of a monkey wrench into the mix I am now seeing TV commercials that speak to "the all newly designed Outback...".

Up to this point (in the US anyway) there were three different platforms to build different models on; from little to big they are the Impreza (entry level & sporty models), the Forester (mid-level & mini SUV), and the Legacy (Flagship & SportLux).

Now they seem to be changing over to a new few platforms, and of course have added the Baja (II). The Outback nowadays seems to have spun off it's own model line (although it still looks to have small and large wheel based models) and includes a Sedan version. (!)

TBerk

I think the confusion comes from the worlds of marketing and manufacturing colliding: Marketing-wise, as has been said, the Outback is its own thing, separate brochures, ads, target market. Manufacturing-wise, the Outback is basically* a Legacy with added higher ground clearance, bigger wheels and visual add-ons to make it look more rugged. So on Subaru's web site there are 2 separate secitons for Outback and Legacy, but the same Service Manual covers both the Legacy and the Outback.

Basic question I would ask myself if I were in your position: Do I like how the Outback looks vs. the Legacy (rugged vs sporty-ish)? Do I want to pay for the off-road options or not? (Outback tend to be more expensive at similar trim levels because of the extra off-roads/ruggedness options) Which set of options fit my needs better? (H6 is Outback only, for example, and the Legacy has better road handling than the Outback)

Good luck in your choice. You've got 2 very cars to pick from... :)

Nicolas

  • I say basically because there are other differences: engine choices, suspension tuning, off-road add-ons, etc.
Reply to
Nicolas Dore

Beginning the 2000 model year in North America Subaru created two distinct model lines, the Legacy and the Outback. Although they both share the same drivetrain and body styles (to a point) they are different cars and appeal to a different market segment. The Outback is Subaru's answer to the SUV and they can claim to have originated the crossover vehicle (arguable perhaps). The Outback Sport is a bit of a misnomer in my view. Interesting that the 05 Outback Sport still carries the older 165hp motor. Therefore a Legacy is not an Outback and vice versa.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie