'96 Outback kill switch...?

Hi all,

I bought a '96 Subaru (Legacy) Outback a couple of years ago.  It has some sort of aftermarket kill switch/security system installed and won't start unless you flash high beams while turning the key.

In the past it has always been fine ... but it has started getting cranky recently and the car often refuses to start, usually at the most inconvenient time.  The first couple of times it happened, I disconnected the battery and it started right up, but that has stopped working.  So now I just randomly do stuff until it starts, like lock and unlock the doors, open and close the hood, open and close the hatch, jump up and down on the front bumper, etc.  Eventually I'll do something and it will start....

Does anyone have any more details about this system?  By any chance was it a factory option? As far as I know the car doesn't have an alarm or keyless entry.

I've Googled but can't find anything, so I don't know what "activates" it.  I'm the third owner of the car ... it was installed by the original owner and the guy I bought it from doesn't know anything other than the bit about the high beams.

I really just want to remove/disable it.   Any tips on where to look? I've looked under the hood and don't see anything that looks aftermarket, and I didn't see any weirdness in either of the fuse boxes.

If I take it to a car audio shop will they be able to find it?  I really want to avoid taking it to the Subaru dealer...they charge an arm and a leg to do anything.

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
adam drew

Definitely not a factory option. Find a good local shop that knows what they are doing and have it removed.

Reply to
mulder

You know, since it's a 10 year old car, it might also just be a bad starter... the symptoms sure sound like one. Does it make a "click" noise from the engine bay when you turn the key?

adam drew wrote:

Reply to
Dmitriy

Adam...

I had the EXACT same problem happen with my car (same year, same model). I f> Hi all,

Reply to
allsixesandsevens

Thanks ... good to know I'm not crazy. :)

Do you have any additional information, like where it was, or how it was hooked up, or the name of the system? I want to try and get rid of it myself ... but haven't been able to find anything aftermarket-looking.

Thanks again, Adam

allsixesandsevens wrote:

Reply to
Adam