'98 Outback Legacy Electrical - the car stops dead! - problem.

Hello there. I've a '98 Outback Legacy with 200+ G's on it in total, about 70 G's on the present engine. When we bought the car about six months ago (from friends, for two-grand) the Check Engine light had been on and the car went through oil like it was going out of style. Which it is. In any event, our friends allowed as how the CE light had been on since they put the new(er) engine in and the guy who put it in said not to worry about it, it had to do with the engine being slightly bigger than the original. Or something. The car ran well until about a month ago when it died on the highway while, naturally, my wife was driving it. We got it to a Subaru dealership who diagnosed the problem as as a bad alternator. We changed the alternator (and the CE light went out, interestingly) which was groovy for about two weeks, when the car commenced to not starting. Took it to our guy who kept it for about four days and could find nothing wrong. Started and ran fine for him. Back to us this Friday last. Took it fishing Saturday AM, no problem. When it was time to get the car to load the canoe, however, she's a no go. No cranking, no dash lights, no dome light when you open the door, no radio display. Pushed it backwards, nothing. Pushed it a bit further backwards and then forwards again to attempt a jump start. Nada, zip, zilch, bupkis. Left the car at the boat landing while friends and family rescued us and went back to the landing about four hours later and it started up just fine. It died completely, however, after driving it about a mile. Our mechanic says that it's probably a problem in the wiring harness and, short of checking each and every wire, he's at a loss as to what to do.

Does anybody have a thought on this, aside from checking each and every wire?

Thanks in advance,

Michael Hudson

Reply to
Michael Hudson

Yeah, some advice.

Post the name of the retard that told you a CEL light is "normal" after an engine replacement so the rest of us can avoid him.

If it stops dead, then starts later electrical wiring is probably the culprit.

Take it to someone who knows Subarus and knows what they are doing, not Bubba's bait and car repair shop.

Reply to
.._..

The Subaru dealership said it was the alternator, which it wasn't. Hence my predicament.

Michael Hudson

It probably *was* the alternator at first. If it was putting out bad voltages, that would explain some of the wires elsewhere in the system burning out.

That happened to me, years ago. The alternator went bad, and when I replaced it, the right headlight and the tail lights stopped working (I ran a line directly to the bulbs from the cigarette lighter to fix that one) -- and you had to leave the blower fan on all the time, because if it died suddenly, it meant you also had no brake lights and had to kick the fusebox until it came back on.

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

Seems like you should be within a limited warranty on that alternator work?

What is the CEL code?

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I've no idea what the code is/was, Todd. Like I said, the light had been on, apparently, for many thousands of miles before I bought it. And the new alternator checks out as fine, I'm told (If y'all haven't sussed it out yet, I'm a moron when it comes to car repair. Not unlike Blanche Dubois, I rely on the kindness of strangers.). And the car's been to three places so far... an award-winning auto-tech instructor (who said that the alternator was putting out ever-so- slightly fewer volts or amps or whatever it is that they put out and therefore didn't think that was the immediate culprit... he voted for a wiring issue that he didn't have time to look for), a Subaru dealership who said it was the alternator, and a third, independent but well established mechanic in the Subaru realm (you can't swing a cat around here without hitting a Subaru).

Michael Hudson

I'm thinking the electrical problem is not that much of a problem. You could always start diagnosing the problem when nothing seems to work. Good time to test the battery. If the battery checks out good then eliminate it and the alternator. Since those 2 components are good, move on down the cicuit. Do you have current flow in and out of the fuse/circuit breaker panel? Check for voltage at the ignition switch.

Or just for jollys really inspect both the battery terminals and cables. Check both the + and _ cables. Seems to me since nothing inside the car works then the problem is probably with the battery cables.

This car also has a bunch of grounding straps all over it. Engine recently replaced? Good chance one or more were overlooked.

Reply to
johninKY

Thanks, John. I'ma print this out and give it to My Guy.

Michael Hudson

Post your location. Most of us regulars have found or know of good independent local shops specializing in Subarus. There's also huge differences in dealerships as well.

Reply to
nobody >

Hey! My Guy seems to have found a fuseable link, whatever that is, that was loose and an unattached something or other in the wiring harness that he thinks may have been overlooked when the alternator was changed. In any event, it's running now like it did before, which is to say that it runs. And oddly enough, the CEL is back on. Ah, well.

Thanks for the two cents worth, everybody. It was appreciated.

And since Nobody asked, I'm in southeastern Vermont.

Happy Motoring,

Michael Hudson

I'll do just that, Todd, and thanks. I'm sure I'll be posting again about this chariot before long!

Michael Hudson

Just a high current fuse.

Good. Yeah, a loose fusible link would cause some problems--it's basically the "master" fuse for the entire electrical system.

Get the code read, and write it down for your next post. :-)

Subaru country!

-- Todd H.

Todd H.