97 Outback electrical problem

97 Legacy Outback 102K. Problem just started. When I start the car everything is OK. I get up to highway speed altenator and brake light start blinking. Few miles later, speedometer and tack start flopping and go to zero. Car drives ok unless I try to go to fast. Check engine light is on because no signal from speedometer and tach. Drives ok if I take it easy, if not starts surging, etc probably because ECM is not getting speed signal. I drop down to 25 mph and speedo & tack come on every thing is ok. Same thing happens every time. I have tried cleaning several grounds and connections. It is like a connection or ground is heating up except for problem goes away under 30 mph.
Reply to
ker

The problem will come back, even at slow speeds. You've got the famous

1997 Outback alternator problem. Subaru USA acknowledged this problem back about 2000, and Subaru Canada acknowledged it about a year later. The cure is a new alternator. Mine went out in Spring 2000, miles from nowhere on US 395 in the desert in California. I nursed the car into the only town within about 50 miles successfully, and luckily the local mechanic there was competent. Five hours later the replacement alternator, which had to be shipped in by truck from a larger town to the north, arrived and soon I was on my way. A year later when Subaru Canada finally agreed that the Indiana-built Canadian Outbacks were no different from the Indiana-built US ones in this respect, I got repaid for the thing. But not for the battery that it took with it.

The original alternator lasted just over 100,000 km. The replacement alternator (not a Subaru one) has behaved itself for over 160,000 km.

At slow engine speeds, measure the battery voltage. It should be around

13 volts. As you rev up the engine, the voltage across the battery will *drop* instead of hold steady or increase, if my guess about your alternator is correct. I think the problem is actually a failing diode, and that's why it takes the battery with it. If this is your problem, fix it soon before you, too, have to buy a new battery as well.

David

Reply to
David Ryeburn

The same thing happened to me in my '98 Outback about a year ago. The car died with the same strange symptons. Fortunately, I was just driving into my home town and the tow truck just had to take it around the corner. Since it was way out of warranty, and I had over 100,000 miles on the clock, I just assumed that the alternator (and, as you say, battery) had gone, and paid for the replacements (>$200 US). Is this really a known defect? Do I have any comeback for the alternator and/or battery with Subaru?

(Not hoping very much, but you never know!)

Cheers, Rowan

Reply to
Rowan Malin

Talk to your Subaru dealer, if you've kept the bills (I keep all such bills forever, fortunately). The worst they can say is "No."

David

Reply to
David Ryeburn

1998 US Outback Wagon LTD

Yes, I've kept all of the bills, but, to be honest, I haven't spoken to my Subaru dealer in 5 years. They gave such bad service, at such exorbitant prices, that I gave them up after the first year. From what I read on this newsgroup, this isn't an isolated incidence. It seems to me that they're in the business to sell cars, and any maintenance work they can get on top of that is just gravy from the ignorant few who think they don't have any alternative. If (probably when) I buy another Subaru, it will definitely not be from them. Unfortunately, it seems that there are just too many car dealers out there who are able to get away with not caring for repeat business.

Since this is a Subaru group, please let me say that this is by no means a criticism of the car! I love mine and will almost certainly buy another, just not from the same dealer!

My local mechanic, although not cheap ($80/hour labor) is at least honest and gives me an itemized bill. He also charges reasonable prices for authentic parts and is interested in showing me what he's done. I don't get the impression that he's just there to make money; he genuinely seems to take a care in what he's doing. He has done many small things (like bleeding the clutch hydraulics, checking tire pressures, filling various fluids) without any charge to me, and just seems to want to keep my car on the road, and me happy. So far, I can't complain.

Cheers, Rowan

Reply to
Rowan Malin

Sounds as if you have a good local mechanic. But I doubt he'll be able to get Subaru to pay for your alternator. The local Subaru dealer might be able to do that. It's worth a try.

David, whose local Subaru dealer is excellent

Reply to
David Ryeburn

Reply to
jimuntch

David, Thanks for the info. I am going by after work to pick up an alternator ($126).

Reply to
ker

Reply to
jimuntch

I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy. My alternator went out in 2001 and I had it replaced by my favorite (non-Subaru) mechanic. I found out later about the recall - there really is one - and contacted Subaru of America. They asked me to send the itemized receipt, which I did, and they gave me a full refund for parts and labor. Piece of cake and painless. I never go to my local Subaru dealer, who seems intent on lightening my wallet. But Subaru of America is quite helpful.

Reply to
Gregory

As I stated, I had 102K+ on th car. I also had to leave on a trip after work Friday. I picked up the alt 30 min. Installed it 30 min. and was on my way with 1 hr delay. It fixed the problem. If I had the time, I might have tried Subaru for the recall, but most of the threads said that it didn't look like they would pay for anything after 100K

Reply to
ker

Reply to
jimuntch

Does anyone know if this recall is just '97? I have a '99 OBW.

Reply to
Mike Cook

Hi Mike: I don't know if the 99's were included or not...they're not listed on the Nhtsa website (

), butneither is the 97 Outback. msn.auto has the 97 Outback alternator recallwith NHTSA Campaign Number: 00I002000 and phone #18007822783 (for Subaru).If enough people have called, and complained, maybe they'll issue arecall...good luck...jim

Reply to
Jim Untch