ABS problem on 95 Legacy

During ordinary driving today, my ABS light came on. At the same time (I think), a new noise emerged from under the hood. I stopped and looked: it's some kind of pump near the right-front wheel, with "ABS" on a nameplate, running continuously. The car runs and brakes OK, but I'm worried about wearing something out and/or sudden brake failure. Only way I could get it to stop was by pulling a battery cable.

Will it be safe to use for a few more miles, including to the service station on Monday? Anything a fairly mechanical but ABS-ignorant person can do/check?

Thanks!

-Theo

Reply to
Theo

The car will brake fine, you just dont have ABS functional. Remember, cars worked fine for years before ABS. I've heard a quick fix for this is to tap the pump with a hammer (not hard, just a tap or two) to stop the pump from staying on. Chances are it will come back in a week or two.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
Robert L Wilson

Thanks to John, Edward and Bob for helpful and anxiety-relieving advice.

Oddly enough, pulling the ABS fuses from the fusebox didn't stop the noise, which continued even with the key out. Who gave the ABS permission to access power with a fuse out? So I yanked the upper connector block, which stopped the buzzing. Tapping with a wrench hadn't helped, but now that I know it's a relay buzzing, I'll find and whack the offending relay.

Thanks so much for your collective help. Great to have experts on hand!

BTW, I'd like a new car, but no-one's making anything I like as much as this compact wagon. Perhaps, with ownership changes, the next round of Subarus will return to their previous design ideals?

-Theo

Reply to
Theo