Adding a Performance Chip to a 2006 Forester Premium Model

Just purchased 2006 Forester Premium, and I'm looking on EBAY, and I see an ad for the following: " 98-06 Subaru Forester Performance Chip/Module Kit +25HP ".

What does this group think about adding performance chips to new Sube' s and/or buying a chip from EBAY?

Thanks!

Reply to
Steve808us

In addition to what folks may say here, I'd suggest researching the performance related forums at

.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Don't buy any of those "chips" you see on Ebay. They are generally no more than a resistor that is supposed to fool the ECU by modifying the signal from the intake air temperature sensor. They do not really do much if anything at all, and can actually do more harm than good. The only reason your car might be faster is that your wallet will be lighter. Unfortunately most of the aftermarket engine management available for Subarus is oriented toward the turbo engines, there isn't that much for the normally aspirated ones. However I agree that you should check out NASIOC

particularly the engine management and powertrain forums. You can also take a look at EcuTek,
They sell a Subaru-specific reflash product that is applied to your existing ECU by an authorized vendor, which can safely add some HP while maintaining the factory driveability and reliability (as long as you don't go too crazy adding power). This option isn't cheap, but it's the proper to go if you want to do it right.

Reply to
mulder

And there is a good reason for that: what is lacking in the engine department could've been easily corrected (by the automaker, not us) thru the miracle of proprer gearing. For a good illustration look no further than RX-8 and RSX. Even one of the econoboxes in the recent Car & Driver comparo had a 6sp manual.

I don't think people who like to row in the first place would mind one more gear to row thru. If the process is pleasant that is. Say hello to Honda.

Reply to
Body Roll