AT in my 95 Legacy weirdness...

Yesterday (which was after a VERY COLD night here in the NYC area) my 95 Legacy FWD did something weird--it refused to shift into 4th for about the first 15-20 minutes of driving (the engine itself had warmed up way before then obviously). I haven't checked fluid levels yet but was wondering if this particular symptom was a known indicator of something specific--and hopefully not too expensive! TIA

Reply to
Rob Aries

The Subaru AT will not shift into 4th until the transmission has reached a satisfactory temperature. Even in VERY cold conditions here in Canada, mine has almost always shifted into 4th with less than 1-2 minutes of driving, but it's possible that different transmission's sense the temperature differently.

I don't think I'd worry about it too much unless the duration increases and you can't shift into 4th for long periords of time.

Chris

Reply to
Alpha Male

Subaru's are not supposed to shift into a higher gear until the transmission fluid reaches a certain temperature. My 2000 Forester ATwill shift into 4th after about 5minutes when the temp is ~+ 45 degrees F. eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
Rob Aries

BTW my 95 replaced a 92 Legacy FWD AT and I never noticed this behavior in the '92.

Reply to
Rob Aries