Automatic transmission fluid won't go down the hole

I bagan to change the ATF yesterday in my 1999 Subaru Legacy Wagon with

111000 miles. The drain plug opened and yielded approximately 4 quarts of brownish fluid. I changed the AT external filter ($33.00) USD adn proceeded to run the engine while refilling the tranny. After about two quarts the funnel would not empty and fluid was draining out of the filler hole and onto the garage floor. I took out the funnel and looked at the hole. It was all the way to the top. I opened the drain plug again and it was still dry. Anyone know what happened? This is my only car and I need it to run. Thanks
Reply to
CannonBoldwin

without moving car try moving shifter though reverse, drive, neutral and park. See if new filter took any fluid, if not fill it manually (prime it).I had a louzy job at a quick lube 13 years ago......Never encountered your prob in any of over several hundred transmissions serviced! Still no go, there is an internal filter that needs to be changed every 30,000 miles unlike the external filter which is 60,000 miles (hmmm, kinda backwards putting the difficult filter at a more frequent interval)

-good luck.

Reply to
bgd

It sounds to me like you drained your engine oil. Check your oil dipstick (usually yellow), wipe it clean, and check it again. If it comes out dry, you drained your engine oil, then overfilled your transmission. You need to refill your engine and figure out where the drain plug is for the transmission.

Reply to
sewiv

Good call. Bet you are correct. Wonder why I didn't think about that?

Reply to
johninKY

No. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles for the last 100,000 miles. I pulled the AT pan off today and it was empty of fluid. I cleaned the mating surfaces and re-gasketed it and looked at the AT filler hole. Still has AT fluid up to the top. I drained 4 quarts and only added 3. What gives? Is there a stuck check valve or something?

Reply to
CannonBoldwin

[...]

You all were right. I was putting AT fluid in the Diff hole. I drained the diff and added gear oil, found the real AT hole and filled it to level. Problem solved. Thanks Guys

Reply to
CannonBoldwin

Just read your post and the first thing that came to mind was, you filled the diff and not the AT.

Nice to see you got it figured out.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

You weren't the first by a long way, and you won't be the last

Reply to
Bugalugs

And I thought JiffyLub people were the only baddies.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

It's been many years since I changed an automatic trans filter, so I'm admittedly out of date here, but "way back when" it seems I was told there were a few that could be installed "wrong" (probably flat ones turned end for end???) which could/would impede fluid flow. I haven't a clue what your car's filter design is (aren't the newest ones a spin on like your oil filter?), but is there any chance of something like that happening with yours?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Hi,

Please ignore this post. My newsreader just gave me the rest of the thread where I read the problem's solved. Glad to hear it!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright