Toyota / Subaru

News item today 11/23 "Toyota to build cars in Subaru manufacturing plant in Indiana." Is this good news for Subi or us? Any thoughts?

Reply to
John Gibson

That plant originally ran a Subaru line and a Iszuzu line. Iszuzu pulled out in July of 2004 so Subaru probably sold that line capacity to Toyota. I wouldn't read much into it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Say, was this common knowledge that GM sold its stake in Subaru, and Toyota bought a stake? I wonder if this is going to affect those Saab-badged Subarus?

CBS News | Toyota Gearing Up To Unseat GM | November 23, 2005 14:00:05

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Yes, I read it in one of the news sites within the last month or so.

Since a Subaru factory in Indiana is now going to be used for producing Toyotas, one does have to wonder if that means fewer Subarus, and what the future portends...

Reply to
Donkey Agony

Hopefully the Legacy and B9 lines will move back to japan, Then maybe I'd consider one. As it is Forester had to be my choice.

Reply to
Grolsch

Hi,

My crystal ball's still a bit foggy this morning, but it will be interesting to see what happens at that plant. A couple of days ago the local paper had an article in the biz pages that said Toyota plans to build 200k cars/yr at the Indiana plant. In contrast, Subaru reportedly builds 120k. At first glance, it appears Toyota plans on using "excess" plant capacity (i.e. the old Isuzu line) but I don't know how big the plant is or if it can produce these numbers without much expansion or stepping onto Subaru's side of the building. Like many I'm waiting to see what happens to Subaru in this deal. I've gathered they haven't been able to hold their quality with US made vehicles as well as Toyota and Honda have--maybe having Toyota "in the house" will help? Suppose this might turn out like NUMMI in California?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I'll be watching this also. My 2002 Legacy Wagon, built in Indiana is very solidly built. Not a screw amiss on delivery nor now, three years later.

(Keeping fingers crossed.)

-- TomH [ antonomasia gmail com ]

Reply to
address

I wish I could have said the same for my '01. The very first time someone shut the rear door the armrest fell off, as the screws were stripped by an overzealous assembler. 8^( It took the dealer an extraordinary amount of time to fix it, under warranty, of course. I don't have kids, so the door got used maybe three times in the four years I had it. I'm positive it would have fallen apart again if used regularly, as the other side was loose when we sold the car.

Also, my clutch stunk, and the driver's door rattled every time it was shut.

The in-law's '02 has been very good.

Reply to
B a r r y