toyota versus subaru

A 1998 Subaru Legacy SW is my first Subaru which I bought used 3 months ago. I have previously owned 3 Toyota's. I was wondering what is the best made vehicle (Subaru or Toyota) overall and any opinions on this? I had a 1987 Toyota Camry SW and the interior was probably a bit more fancy but perofrmance seems to be equal between the Subbie and Camry for me. I also had 2 Corollas. One thing I must say about the Toyotas is very few breakdowns, and the Camry was at 205,000 when I got rid of it and that was only because I didn't want to put anymore money it, if I had fixed the AC compressor it would have probably gone another 50,000. It seems Subaru has similiar quality and long life. I give the two companies a tie thus far.

Reply to
snow

I agree that when it comes to quality, Toyota is pretty awesome Not much experience long term with Subaru's (my WRX only a year old) - but I will say this - AWD is simply awesome in inclement weather (severe rain, snow, etc.) or when the road conditions are poor (dirt, potholes, irregular surface, etc.)

Reply to
David & Caroline

I moved from 83 and 86 tercel 4WD wagons to a subie as Toyota stopped making the 4WD wagons. They focused more on me wanting to buy the 4-runner or the Land cruiser. Only Land Cruiser I'd want is a 77 FJ40 with the Chevy 350 conversion. I'll say this, the toy's body will rot out long before the engine dies. My

83 wagon had 250K on it and ran nice and smooth. Only problem was it was held together with duct-tape....same color too. However, the toy's were dogs, couldn't get out of their own way with their huge 91 ci engines For this reason its not fair for me to compare an 83 vehicle to a 95.
Reply to
John

Well, luckily you don't have to guess or get thousands of opinions. There are companies that specialize in ranking automakers overall reliability. #s are problems per 100 vehicles in a 3 year old vehicle. Acura 21 Toyota 25 Lexus 25 Honda 32 Mazda 34 Subaru 36 Volvo 70 email me for a scan of the complete list. TG

Reply to
TG

Pretty much agree with this. 84 4x4 Toyota PU and 86 Sub GL 4x4 wagon.

The Subie has cost me more to maintain, but when both have been pocket change, it's not a big issue. CV boots, rack and pinion, clutch, radiator, water pump, and belt tensioner in the Subie, the Toy has had a front oil seal, fuel pump, rear differential seal, and radiator. GEEZ, didn't realize the list was that much different until I put it on "paper". Course over 18-20 years I still consider that pretty good as they both get lots of hard intown use

Reply to
pheasant

I have had 3 toyota tercel 4wd estates ( wagons for my US friends) which i found amazing offroad for a small car and reliable to the n'th degree even tho they have an appetite for cv joints shame they stopped selling em in the UK minor rust problems until they fitted front wing plastic inner skins I do like my old scooby legacy tho' more comfortable slightly better build quality but i havent tested it really offroad which is more important for me and yes i have replaced a CV joint doesnt everyone? I wouldnt like to say either was the better car Derek

Reply to
Del