what is a camshaft drive belt?

Hi all--

My daughter just bought a Subaru. It now has a grand total of 10 miles on it (!!!). It is a 2007 Subaru Forester with a 2.5 Liter engine.

We were looking at the maintenance schedule, and it says that the camshaft drive belt is supposed to be inspected every 30,000 miles and replaced at 105,000 miles. What is a camshaft drive belt -- is that like a timing belt? I assume it is inside the engine? Is there anything on the Subaru to facilitate the inspection, or do you have to open up the engine, like the older cars with the timing belts?

Any other recommendations for her on this car? She is very happy ... so far.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yup. Think of it interchangeably with timing belt.

Reply to
Todd H.

The timing belt is on the outside of the engine.

Reply to
David

Jim: it is the timing belt. It's on the outside of the engine at the front, under the black plastic cover.

Reply to
BobN

Thank-you all for responding to my question.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Timing cover can be partially removed ( 2 or 3 screws) in order to inspect the belt - mine is 80K miles old and when i checked it recently it still looks new : no moisture, "glazing" or signs of rubber breakage.... But I would be religious about sticking to the book as for replacing it - all subie 2.5 flat four engines are interference type.... kd

Reply to
daszkiew2000