1983 Honda Civic... Need advice on installing alternator belt

My son recently purchased a 1983 Honda Civic with a 1500 cc engine. He lives in another city and called me last night because his alternator belt broke. His experience with auto mechanics is limited and, therefore, he called me for advice. I have a fair amount of experience (as a shade tree type) working on Japanese automobiles. I told him that installation of an alternator belt is usually a fairly straightforward proposition. We tried to do this operation via telephone. In attempting to put the belt around the crank and alternator pulleys, he said that part of the alternator bracket obstructed his ability to put the belt around both pulleys. As I am unfamiliar with the setup, I would appreciate information on how the belt may be installed...... and, how the navigate the obstructions.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo