2003 Chrysler T&C - AC Compressor Always Cycling

We bought the van with 11k mi on it, just as the 3 year warranty expired. All 11k were put on in the 1st year, then it sat for 2 years without ever being started. Van now has 20k. It has the 3-zone climate control with rear heat/AC. Everything seems to function properly, but I noticed that the AC compressor cycles all the time, unless the climate control is turned completely off. Is that normal? This is my first Chrysler, and my first vehicle with climate control. On every other car I've owned, the compresor only cycles when cooling or defrosting. This thing cycles the compressor even when heating. There is a button with a snowflake on it, which I expected would disable the compressor when off, but that seems to have no effect (other than turning the snowflake shaped indicator lamp on and off).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It is normal for the compressor to run and cycle on most vehicles if your HVAC position switch is in defrost mode (or partial defrost mode). The best thing you could do is to read the entire section on HVAC operation in your owner's manual, it will answer just about any question you may have. The owner's manual has saved my backside on a few repairs. Sometimes a customer will come in with an invalid complaint and you need the owner's manual to prove that the car isn't supposed to do what they are asking of it.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Reply to