95 subaru awd system problem

My 95 subaru legacy's awd system is not working, it only has front wheel drive. On a hoist with the engine on and the trans in drive only the drivers side front wheel spins, if I slow it down with my hand then the passenger side starts to spin, should they not be turning together? Also a while back it had a problem with the shift lock, it was stuck in park and a mechanic had to do cut a wire or something to fix this, could this have anything to do with the awd system. How does this system operate. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
mark

No, this is what a differential is FOR. It sounds to me like everything is working normally. What makes you think the AWD is not working?

There's a differential in front, a differential in back and a differential in the middle.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The rear wheels never get power, on the hoist, or on snow.

Reply to
mark

This is not real front wheel drive, and you can't expect it to behave like it. It is "soccer mom" style AWD.

If you lock both front wheels, you will get power to the rear wheels. If either front wheel is allowed to spin, there will not be power to the rear. None of the differentials have limited slip on this car, I don't believe, unless you have specifically ordered it as an option.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

This is not real four wheel drive, and you can't expect it to behave like it. It is "soccer mom" style AWD.

If you lock both front wheels, you will get power to the rear wheels. If either front wheel is allowed to spin, there will not be power to the rear. None of the differentials have limited slip on this car, I don't believe, unless you have specifically ordered it as an option.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Doesn't the Subaru setup use a viscous coupling instead of a center differential? If so then on the lift there should be some rear wheel movement in addition to the front wheels. If the VC lost it's fluid then there would be no coupling action and therefore no rear wheel movement.

Reply to
Pete C.

quoted text -

How could check the VC fluid? The drive shaft goes from the rear diff. up into the transaxle, There is no seperate center diff. is this A sign that it uses a VC system. Like I said I am sure the rear is not getting power, I could be on the slightest incline on slippery snow and allow the front wheel to spin for a minute and absolutely nothing getting to the rear.

Reply to
mark

I believe that the entire "awd" mechanism is in the transmission assembly, this being based on my grasp of older Subie technology. If you have two CV shafts exiting the trans to the front wheels and one drive shaft directly exiting the trans to the rear differential, then I am correct.

If you have an AWD control button of some kind, then there is an electric / electrohydraulic clutch that engages the viscous clutch. If no control button, it is a simple viscous coupling internal to the transmission. I don't imagine any check could be made, other than the observation that the rear wheels are not providing any motive force when in drive.

This is all predicated on the likelyhood that your Subie uses a VC, verses the complicated and unlikely scenario of an electronic feedback AWD clutch (in 1995).

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish