'97 jeep wrangler hesitation in the morning...

1997 Jeep Wrangler SE 4 cyl, 2.5L, 5 spd, 87K miles

It seems every other time I start my 97 wrangler after sitting over night or longer, I get erratic idling at startup and the first time I shift into 2nd gear when taking off, i get a hesitation and loss of power for about 2-3 seconds.. then the power kicks back in and it runs fine the rest of the day. Any opinions/ideas regarding what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nate

Reply to
Nate

have you tried puting in some sea foam in your gas? whens the last time you done a une up??

Reply to
Scrapper

Profile:

View this thread:

just added fuel system cleaner but no sea foam specifically. i'm not sure when the last tuneup was performed.. just purchased the jeep 3 weeks ago. do you suggest changing plugs, wires, etc..?

Reply to
rec tech

If it has a cap and rotor I would start there, then I would check the plugs out.

One check for leaky wires is to spray mist the plug wires with water in the dark to see if you get a light show.

Mike

Mike Romain

Changed out the plugs, wires, cap, & rotor. Still have the problem on occasion. When I first purchased the vehicle, I swapped out the air filter with a fram air filter. I wouldn't think this would cause the problem, but I don't recall having the problem before I changed the air filter. Unfortunately, I just thought of it now.. thoughts? The air filter looks clean.

Nate

Reply to
rec tech

I would take some spray electronic contact cleaner and open and spray down the connection on the throttle body. There is an idle control and a throttle position sensor there that can and do get dirty connections and can cause strange cold running issues first, then get worse.

There is also a CPS on the top drivers side bell housing that also can get a dirty connection, but that one, when dirty usually causes stalls.

Mike

rec tech wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi Nate.... I have had the same issue with my 97 TJ with the 4.0. It comes and goes and I've never found the problem yet. The quick work around on my TJ has been to put the clutch in ... rev the engine a bit and you are good to go for the day. No real help I realize but it gets around the issue. I've been looking for the problem for over 5 yrs. Good luck!!

Larry

Reply to
kg7rq1

Hey did you ever fixed this problem?

Reply to
migilin

Profile:

View this thread:

rec tech

You you could always take your Jeep in to a shop. That is what I had to do when the death wobble got to bad even for me. That has to bad to.

99 wrangler TJ 2.5 lift 31 inch Good year MTR tires and a ton of lights Warn M8000 winch and more toys to come.

Some people have an addiction to drink... Some people have an addiction to drugs.... I just have an addiction to Jeeps and their accessories....

Reply to
Jamie Mello