98 Grand Marquis Brake Warning Indicator on

Hi All: I have a 98 Grand MArquis. Had the brakes done 1 1/2 years ago and the pads ssem okay. Today, I noticed that when I applied the brakes at high speed, the light came on. It goes off when I let off the brakes. The only happens occassionally. My mechanic says not to worry, he will top off the resevoir when I get a chance to bring it in.. I'm not so sure that that is all that is wrong. If it were a low resevoir, why would the light go on only when I brake. A also get a ticking/thumping noise when I hard brake. I get a clunking noise when I turn a hard right into my driveway.

Would the brake light indicate other mechanical problems other than fluid?

Robert

Reply to
Finite Guy

I think the brake warning light also indicates low brake fluid. I know it does in my Mom's '88 GM. I suspect your mechanic can trace the noises, the tick/thump might just be a whell that was tightened improperly, causing slight warpage.

Hope this helps - Paul (was F&P)

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

Yep the beake light senses your fluid and you parking brake.Your parking brake could be out of adjustment .Also when trying to brake at high speeds the fluid in the resevoir will goto one side thus exposing the sensor makinng it think its low and when you release it levels backout thus making the sensor think its normal turning the light back off. As far as noise your caliper may be loose .Or if you have ABS if could be a flaw in your system or you could have something wrong with your front end.My advice is to take it somewhere for a second opinion estimates are free at most shops.Then call your mechanic with the findings if he sounds studdery FIND ANOTHER MECHANIC .Because he probly the one who screwed it up in the first place.

Re: 98 Grand Marquis Brake Warning Indicator on

Hi All: I have a 98 Grand MArquis. Had the brakes done 1 1/2 years ago and the pads ssem okay. Today, I noticed that when I applied the brakes at high speed, the light came on. It goes off when I let off the brakes. The only happens occassionally. My mechanic says not to worry, he will top off the resevoir when I get a chance to bring it in.. I'm not so sure that that is all that is wrong. If it were a low resevoir, why would the light go on only when I brake. A also get a ticking/thumping noise when I hard brake. I get a clunking noise when I turn a hard right into my driveway. Would the brake light indicate other mechanical problems other than fluid? Robert

Reply to
Steve Cook