98 neon plug lifespan

co-worker's car. a set of plugs is lasting him about 3 months. this time he changed the plugs and wires. gapped to about .035"

The plugs he took out were totally worn again, this was the second set in 6 months that's gone in at 035 and come out around 050.

Are neons this hard on plugs?

Ray

Reply to
news

It doesn't sound like your co-worker is putting in the correct plugs to me.

My Brother in-law was recently bitching that his '99 F-150 needed plugs again after only 20k miles and a years time.

He put the cheapest he could find Champions in it last time. I recall him saying that the OEM plugs would have cost $80. Now he gets to pull the fuel rail and futz with the coil-on-plug PITA that the Ford Triton V-8's are, again. Not much savings IMO.

The iridium/platinum or whatever other "special" coating is on modern plugs keeps the electrodes from eroding with todays super hot ignition systems. Plain 'ol copper plugs won't last long even if they physically fit.

Reply to
anumber1