lifespan of 6.5td

Hi,

What's the lifespan of a 6.5TD?

Geert

Reply to
Geert Annys

My '95 6.5L turbo diesel was at 156,000 miles before I sold it, but not because of the motor. The issue with the 6.5's is that you need to do a lot of learning about diesels in general and 6.5's in particular in order to get the best service out of it. It is definitely not a 'gas and go' motor. On the positive side, it has been around long enough that either GM or the aftermarket has managed to work through all of it's major problems, specifically head gasket burn-through (a cooling issue) and fuel injection pump reliability (by relocating the FSD). I loved my former truck, and would be driving it still today except that I got such a great deal on my current 2004 2500HD with the 6.6L Duramax and the Allison tranny.

Although I didn't keep mine long enough, I have heard of these motors going easily to 250-300k miles.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

I am driving a 95 GMC 2500 with a 6.5L diesel. The truck has over 423,000 miles and is in good shape but the original "non spray cooled pistons" engine was replaced at about 170,000. The current engine is a 98 model 6.5 and has the piston oil spray cooling. It has lasted over 253,000 miles and has not been babied. As Jonothan says, it is not a "gas and go" motor but doesn't require constant baby sitting either. Just become knowledgable and treat it with respect and it will do it's job very reliably.

I have some blow by now and expect to do a total rebuild before the odometer gets to 470,000 miles. I just have to remember that it is not a Power Stroke, Cummins, or a DuraMax. As long as my expectations are reasonable the truck will fulfill my needs. Last year I pulled a 29 foot fifth wheel (9,000 lbs.) over

4,000 miles including over several passes around 10,000 feet in height. And no troubles. I am happy with it.

Best of luck.

J> My '95 6.5L turbo diesel was at 156,000 miles before I sold it, but not

Reply to
George Vigneron