Anyone remember Gasohol? Is it the same as E-10?

Back in the 1970's when Jimmy Carter was president we had a similar gas situation to what we have now. The industry came out with "gasohol" which was a blend of alcohol made from corn, and gasoline. It destroyed fuel pumps on many an automobile including mine. Is E-10 gas the same thing as gasohol?

I began using E-10 a few months ago in my 1994 Chevy Corsica and I recently had to have the fuel pump replaced at a cost of over $300.00. The exact same thing happened in 1979 when I began using gasohol in my 69 Camaro. Back then, the mechanic told me that if you begin using gasohol after using regular gas for a long time it would eat the fuel pump, but that if you use gasohol on a brand new fuel pump it would never be a problem. It looks like he may have been right.

Any comments/similar experiences?

i have heard that the ethanol cleans everything. so the dirty fuel tank gets cleaned and the dirt gets sent through to the fuel pump, fuel filter and carborator, causing havoc all the way through. For many years I used mohawk gas which was bought out by husky, but they still have 10% ethanol. i have heard also that if you use 10% ethanol from the start its no problem, its switching to 10% ethanol that causes the problem. A fuel pump for a 1979 vehicle is $24.00. A fuel pump for a 1994 will be $300.00. that's sort of a problem. I hope you bought a new filter also.

boxing

Many vehicles built back in the 70s had problems with ethanol. It attacked rubber and plastic components and, if it picked up water, that could cause corrosion problems with certain metal alloys.

E-10 is essentially the same stuff. What has changed between now and then are the materials used in vehicles. If you have a car of 1960s or

1970s vintage and have not upgraded parts in the fuel system, you may still have problems.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Precisely. You can think of E85 as being a sort of petroleum martini.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey